- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT, ENGLAND
14th March 2001
Coming into force in accordance with article 1(2)
Whereas the Local Government Commission for England, acting pursuant to section 15(4) of the Local Government Act 1992(1), has submitted to the Secretary of State a report dated July 2000 on its review of the borough(2)of Test Valley together with its recommendations:
And whereas the Secretary of State has decided to give effect to those recommendations:
Now, therefore, the Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 17(3) and 26 of the Local Government Act 1992, and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, hereby makes the following Order:
1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Borough of Test Valley (Electoral Changes) Order 2001.
(2) This Order shall come into force—
(a)for the purpose of proceedings preliminary or relating to any election to be held on 1st May 2003, on 10th October 2002;
(b)for all other purposes, on 1st May 2003.
(3) In this Order—
“borough” means the borough of Test Valley;
“existing”, in relation to a ward, means the ward as it exists on the date this Order is made; and
any reference to the map is a reference to the map prepared by the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions marked “Map of the Borough of Test Valley (Electoral Changes) Order 2001”, and deposited in accordance with regulation 27 of the Local Government Changes for England Regulations 1994(4).
2. (1) The existing wards of the borough(5) shall be abolished.
(2) The borough shall be divided into twenty-four wards which shall bear the names set out in column (1) of the Schedule.
(3) The wards shall comprise the areas described in column (2) of the Schedule by reference to parishes or parish wards or, where an area is not so described, the area designated on the map by reference to the name of the ward and demarcated by red lines; and the number of councillors to be elected for each ward shall be the number specified in respect of the ward in column (3) of the Schedule.
(4) Where a boundary is shown on the map as running along a road, railway line, footway, watercourse or similar geographical feature, it shall be treated as running along the centre line of the feature.
3. (1) The existing wards of the parish of Romsey shall be abolished.
(2) The parish shall be divided into three parish wards which shall bear the names Abbey, Cupernham and Tadburn; each parish ward shall comprise the area of the borough ward bearing the same name; and the number of councillors to be elected for each parish ward shall be five.
4. The existing parish ward of Valley Park of the parish of Chilworth shall be known as the parish ward of Chilworth North of that parish.
5. The District of Test Valley (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1975 is hereby revoked.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State,
Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions
14th March 2001
|Name of Ward||Area of Ward||Number of Councillors|
|Ampfield and Braishfield||The parishes of Ampfield and Braishfield||1|
|Amport||The parishes of Amport, Grately, Monxton and Quarley||1|
|Anna||The parishes of Abbotts Ann, Goodworth Clatford and Upper Clatford||2|
|Blackwater||The parishes of Awbridge, Melchet Park and Plaitford, Sherfield English and Wellow||2|
|Bourne Valley||The parishes of Faccombe, Hurstbourne Tarrant, Linkenholt, Tangley and Vernhams Dean||1|
|Broughton and Stockbridge||The parishes of Bossington, Broughton, Chilbolton, Houghton, Leckford, Longstock, Nether Wallop and Stockbridge||2|
|Charlton||The parish of Charlton||1|
|Chilworth, Nursling and Rownhams||3|
|Dun Valley||The parishes of Buckholt, East Dean, East Tytherley, Frenchmoor, Lockerley, Mottisfont and West Tytherley||1|
|Harewood||The parishes of Barton Stacey, Bullington, Longparish and Wherwell||1|
|Kings Somborne and Michelmersh||The parishes of Ashley, Kings Somborne, Little Somborne and Michelmersh||1|
|North Baddesley||The parish wards of Fleming and Mountbatten of North Baddesley parish||3|
|Over Wallop||The parish of Over Wallop||1|
|Penton Bellinger||The parishes of Appleshaw, Fyfield, Kimpton, Penton Grafton, Penton Mewsey, Shipton Bellinger and Thruxton||2|
|Romsey Extra||The parish of Romsey Extra||2|
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order gives effect to recommendations by the Local Government Commission for England for electoral changes in the borough of Test Valley. The changes have effect in relation to local government elections to be held on and after 1st May 2003.
Article 2 abolishes the existing wards of the borough and provides for the creation of 24 new wards. That article and the Schedule also make provision for the names and areas of, and numbers of councillors for, the new wards.
Article 3 makes electoral changes in the parish of Romsey.
Article 4 renames, as Chilworth North, the Valley Park parish ward of Chilworth parish.
Article 5 revokes the District of Test Valley (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1975.
The areas of the new borough wards are demarcated on the map described in article 1(3). Prints of the map may be inspected at all reasonable times at the offices of Test Valley Borough Council and at the offices of the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, 2nd Floor, Ashdown House, 123 Victoria Street, London SW1E 6DE.
The non-metropolitan district of Test Valley has the status of a borough.
Section 17 is amended by section 39(4) and (5) of the Police and Magistrates' Courts Act 1994 (c. 29).
S.I. 1994/867, to which there are amendments not relevant to this Order.
See the District of Test Valley (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1975 (S.I. 1975/2108).
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: