The National Archives is committed to making its websites as accessible as possible to users with visual, hearing, motor or cognitive impairments. The website follows the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0
legislation.gov.uk offers different ways to view legislation:
- The whole piece – e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/18
- At part level – e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/26/part/1
- At section or provision level – e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/section/4
- At schedule level – e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/36/schedule/2
Advanced features include:
- View the geographical extent – e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/3/introduction?view=extent
- View a timeline of changes – e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/67/section/6?view=extent&timeline=true
Some of these views adhere more closely to the WCAG guidelines than others. The most accessible view can be reached through the 'Plain view' option. e.g. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/40/section/1?view=plain
The vast majority of legislation viewed using the 'Plain view' option conforms to the WCAG 2.0 AA level. Some pages may be missing some additional information, such as alternative text for some images. There are also some minor issues with some complex tables.
The following technologies are used on www.legislation.gov.uk:
- XHTML + RDFa
In addition services using the following technologies are provided by www.legislation.gov.uk:
- Atom feeds
Legislation can also made available in Braille, by request. Braille copies may be obtained from email@example.com or telephone +44 (0)8706005522.
If you find the text on this site too small or too big, you can change it using your browser settings. The default size for most browsers is "100%". Below are links to instructions for changing the text size for some common browsers:
- Internet Explorer v9.0+
- Internet Explorer v8.0+
- Internet Explorer v7.0+
- Internet Explorer v6.0+
- Mozilla Firefox
We would like to hear from you if you have had trouble with the text size on this website. Please tell us your operating system, for example "Windows XP"; your browser, for example "Internet Explorer 5.5" and your Internet Service Provider, for example "AOL" or "BT". We would also like to know what size you have chosen as your browser text size, for example "medium".
This site uses Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) documents. You can convert PDF documents to text using Adobe's PDF web-based conversion service.
Conformance claim dated: 30 June 2011