- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
SUPREME COURT OF ENGLAND AND WALES
9th June 1994
Laid before Parliament
13th June 1994
Coming into force
4th July 1994
1. This Order may be cited as the Civil Courts (Amendment No.2) Order 1994 and shall come into force on 4th July 1994.
2. In this Order, “the 1983 Order” means the Civil Courts Order 1983(4), and a reference to a Schedule by number means the Schedule so numbered in that Order.
3.—(1) The district registry of the High Court at Bangor shall be closed.
(2) Schedule 1 shall accordingly be amended by deleting the reference to that district registry.
4.—(1) A district registry of the High Court shall be established at Llangefni, which district shall be the area comprising the district of the Llangefni County Court.
(2) The 1983 Order shall accordingly be amended as follows—
(a)in Schedule 1, after the entry relating to Liverpool, there shall be inserted the following new entry—
|“First Column||Second Column|
(b)in Schedule 3, in column 1 of the entry relating to the Llangefni County Court, the letters “D.R.” (denoting a district registry of the High Court) shall be inserted beneath the word “Llangefni”.
5. In the second column of Schedule 1, for the entries relating to the district registries listed in column 1 of the Schedule of this Order, there shall be substituted the entries listed in column 2 of the Schedule to this Order.
6. Schedule 3 shall be amended as follows—
(1) the entries relating to the Bangor, Porthmadog and Stroud County Courts shall be deleted(5);
(2) in the entry relating to the Caernarfon County Court—
(a)in column 2, above the word “Divorce” there shall be inserted the words
(b)in columns 3 and 4, the word “Bangor” shall be deleted;
(3) in columns 3 and 4 of the entry relating to the Colwyn Bay County Court, for the word “Bangor” at both places, there shall be substituted the word “Caernarfon”; and
(4) in the entry relating to the Llangefni County Court—
(a)in column 2, there shall be inserted the word “Bankruptcy”;
(b)in column 3, for the word “Bangor” there shall be substituted the word “Caernarfon”;
(c)in column 4, the word “Bangor” shall be deleted.
7. The Caernarfon County Court shall have jurisdiction in—
(a)any Admiralty proceedings, and
(b)any proceedings under the Second Group of Parts of the Insolvency Act 1986 commenced in the Bangor County Court before the coming into force of this Order.
Mackay of Clashfern, C
Dated 9th June 1994
|First Column||Second Column|
|NAME OF PLACE||DISTRICT DEFINED BY REFERENCE TO COUNTY COURT DISTRICT|
|Bury St Edmunds||Bury St Edmunds|
|Tunbridge Wells||Tunbridge Wells|
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order amends the Civil Courts Order 1983 so as to—
(1) close the district registry of the High Court at Bangor (article 3);
(2) establish a district registry of the High Court at Llangefni (article 4);
(3) make consequential amendments to the definitions of the districts of district registries of the High Court which were previously defined by reference to county courts which have been closed (article 5);
(4) close the Bangor, Porthmadog and Stroud County Courts (article 6);
(5) give admiralty jurisdiction and insolvency jurisdiction to the Caernarfon County Court (article 6(2));
(6) give insolvency jurisdiction to the Llangefni County Court (article 6(4));
(7) attach the districts of the Colwyn Bay and Llangefni County Courts to the Caernarfon County Court for the purposes of admiralty jurisdiction (article 6(3) and (4)(a));
(8) assign the district of the Colwyn Bay County Court to the Caernarfon County Court for the purposes of insolvency jurisdiction (article 6(3)).
The Order also contains transitional provisions relating to admirality and individual insolvency proceedings commenced in county courts closed by this Order (article 7).
Directions given on behalf of the Lord Chancellor under section 2(3) of the County Courts Act 1984 will determine which court districts will include the former districts of the courts closed by this Order with effect from the date on which this Order comes into force.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: