- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
23rd August 1993
Laid before Parliament
2nd September 1993
Coming into force
1st October 1993
In exercise of the powers conferred upon me by section 1(3)(a) and (c) and section 7(9) of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986(1), I hereby make the following Order:
1. This Order may be cited as the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act (Amendment) Order 1993 and shall come into force on 1st October 1993.
2. In this Order, “the Act of 1986” means the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.
3. For the purposes of the Act of 1986 “a protected animal” shall include any invertebrate of the species Octopus vulgaris from the stage of its development when it becomes capable of independent feeding.
4. At the end of Schedule 2 to the Act of 1986 (animals to be obtained only from designated breeding or supplying establishments), there shall be added—
“Any bird of the species Coturnix coturnix (quail).”.
One of Her Majesty’s Principal Secretaries of State
23rd August 1993
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order extends the scope of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 in two ways as from 1st October 1993. First, it extends the definition of “a protected animal” for the purposes of the Act to include Octopus vulgaris from the time at which it becomes capable of independent feeding. Secondly, it adds quail (Coturnix coturnix) to the list of animals in Schedule 2 to that Act (Animals to be obtained only from designated breeding or supplying establishments). The addition of quail (Coturnix coturnix) to Schedule 2 implements a requirement of Article 21 of Council Directive No. 86/609/EEC (OJ No. L 358, 18.12.86, p.1.) on the approximation of laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States regarding the protection of animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: