- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
4. (1) A new non-metropolitan county and a new non-metropolitan district, each to be known as Cheshire West and Chester, shall be constituted comprising (in each case) the area of the West Cheshire districts.
(2) A new district council, to be known as the Cheshire West and Chester Council, shall be established as the sole principal authority for the non-metropolitan district of Cheshire West and Chester.
(3) Except for the purposes of Part 4 of this Order (electoral matters), until 1st April 2009—
(a)the Cheshire West and Chester Council shall not be a local authority for the purposes of the 1972 Act or any other enactment relating to local government; and
(b)subsection (2) of section 2 of the 1972 Act (constitution of principal councils in England) shall have effect in relation to that Council as if the words from “and the council” to the end of that subsection were omitted.
(4) In relation to the county of Cheshire West and Chester, section 2(1) of the 1972 Act (which provides that every county shall have a council) shall not apply.
(5) On 1st April 2009—
(a)the West Cheshire districts shall be abolished as local government areas; and
(b)the West Cheshire councils shall be wound up and dissolved.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: