- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
51.—(1) On application by the Harbour Authority a justice of the peace may appoint persons to be constables and a person so appointed shall, on appointment, be attested as a constable in accordance with section 29 of the Police Act 1996(1).
(2) A justice of the peace may dismiss any constable appointed under paragraph (1) from his office and upon such dismissal all powers, protections and privileges vested in such a constable shall cease.
(3) A constable appointed under paragraph (1) may act as such within the area of jurisdiction and, subject to paragraph (5), whilst he is so acting he shall have all the powers and privileges of a constable.
(4) A constable appointed under paragraph (1) shall have powers of arrest within the area of jurisdiction and, where he pursues a person from the area of jurisdiction, shall have the same powers of arrest in respect of the person outside the area of jurisdiction as he would have within that area.
(5) Except in so far as it would otherwise conflict with his duties as a constable, the powers conferred on a constable appointed under this article are exercisable subject to paragraph 18 of Schedule 8 and for the purposes of that paragraph a constable shall be deemed to be an officer of the Harbour Authority.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: