- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. The guide shall contain a list of all new passenger car models available for purchase within the United Kingdom on the date of publication, grouped by manufacturer’s name in alphabetic order.
2. The fuel type, numerical value of the official fuel consumption and official specific emissions of CO2 shall be presented for each model shown in the guide. Fuel consumption shall be expressed either in litres per 100 kilometres (1/100km) or kilometres per litre (km/l), and quoted to one decimal place, or, to the extent compatible with the provisions of Council Directive 80/181/EEC(1) in miles per gallon. Official specific emissions of CO2 shall be expressed in grams per kilometre (g/km) to the nearest whole number.
3. The guide shall contain a prominent list of the ten most fuel-efficient new passenger car models ranked in order of increasing specific emissions of CO2 for each fuel type with the model with the lowest CO2 emissions being placed at the top of the list. The listing shall specify the name of the model, the numerical value of the official fuel consumption and the official specific emission of CO2.
4. The guide shall contain advice to motorists to the effect that correct use and regular maintenance of the vehicle and driving behaviour, such as avoiding aggressive driving, travelling at lower speeds, anticipation braking, correctly inflating tyres, reducing periods of idling, not carrying excessive weight, can improve the fuel consumption and reduce the CO2 emissions of their passenger car.
5. The guide shall include an explanation of the effects of greenhouse gas emissions, potential climate change and the relevance to this of emissions from motor cars, as well as a reference to the different fuel options available to the consumer and their environmental implications based on the latest scientific evidence and legislative requirements.
6. The guide shall include a reference to the European Community’s target for the average emissions of CO2 from new passenger cars and the date by which the target is to be achieved.
7. The guide shall include a reference to the European Commission’s own guide on fuel economy and CO2 emissions on the internet, when it is available.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: