- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
14.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, this regulation applies to all relevant vehicles.
(2) This regulation does not apply—
(a)to any ambulance or a motor caravan;
(b)to any registered vehicle;
(c)to a vehicle more than 10 years after the time when it was manufactured; or
(d)to a vehicle that meets the requirements specified in paragraph (3).
(3) The requirements referred to in paragraph (2)(d) are that—
(a)the person by whom the vehicle is kept (“the keeper”) is a member of a visiting force or of a member of the civilian component of a visiting force;
(b)the vehicle has been imported into the United Kingdom for the personal use of the keeper or of his dependants;
(c)there is not in force with respect to the vehicle—
(i)a Minister’s approval certificate issued in pursuance of these Regulations;
(ii)a certificate of conformity;
(iii)a Minister’s approval certificate in a form prescribed by regulation 14 of the 1982 Regulations or regulation 9 of the 1984 Regulations; or
(iv)an EC certificate of conformity; and
(d)not more than one other vehicle which meets the requirements of sub-paragraphs (a), (b) and (c) is kept in the United Kingdom by the keeper.
(4) In paragraph (3) the expressions “member of a visiting force” and “member of a civilian component of a visiting force” shall bear the same meanings as in Part I of the Visiting Forces Act 1952(1).
(5) The day appointed for the purposes of section 63(1) of the 1988 Act in relation to every vehicle—
(a)to which this regulation applies; but
(b)which is not of a class for which a day had previously been appointed for those purposes,
is 1st February 2001.
(6) Without prejudice to any other Regulations having effect by virtue of section 63(1) of the 1988 Act, all vehicles to which this regulation applies are vehicles of a prescribed class for the purposes of that section.
(7) The type approval requirements prescribed for the purposes of section 63(1) of the 1988 Act, in relation to every vehicle to which this regulation applies, are the approval requirements.
(8) Section 63(1) of the 1988 Act shall not apply to the use of a relevant vehicle—
(a)for the purpose of submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) before it is registered for an examination pursuant to an application under these Regulations;
(b)for the purpose of bringing it away, before it is registered, from such an examination;
(c)by an authorised person for the purpose of—
(i)taking it to, or bringing it away from, a place where a part of such an examination is to be, or has been, carried out, or
(ii)carrying out a part of such an examination, or
(iii)warming up its engine in preparation for such an examination, before it is registered;
(d)where an application under regulation 6 is refused following such an examination, for the purpose of—
(i)delivering it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) at a place where relevant work is to be done on it, or
(ii)bringing it away from a place where relevant work has been done on it, before it is registered.
(9) In this regulation—
“authorised person” means an examiner appointed under section 66A of the 1988 Act or a person carrying out such an examination under the direction of such an examiner;
“relevant work” means work done or to be done to remedy the defects on the grounds of which the application was refused (including work to alter the vehicle in some aspect of design, construction, equipment or marking on account of which the certificate was refused).
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: