- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001 and shall come into force on 1st February 2001.
2. The instruments specified in Schedule 1 are hereby revoked.
3.—(1) In these Regulations, unless the context otherwise requires—
“the 1970 Directive” means Council Directive 70/156/EEC of 6th February 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the member states relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers(1) as last amended by Directive 98/14/EC of 25th March 1998(2);
“the 1982 Regulations” means the Motor Vehicles (Type Approval for Goods Vehicles) (Great Britain) Regulations 1982(3);
“the 1984 Regulations” means the Motor Vehicles (Type Approval) (Great Britain) Regulations 1984(4);
“the 1988 Act” means the Road Traffic Act 1988;
“ambulance”, “armoured vehicle”, “hearse” and “motor caravan” have the meanings given by paragraph 1 of Schedule 2;
“approval requirements”, in relation to a vehicle, means the requirements prescribed by section 54 of the 1988 Act as they apply to that vehicle and which are set out in regulation 5(1);
“axle weight”, “gross weight”, “kerbside weight”, “maximum gross weight” and “maximum permitted axle weight” have the meanings given in regulation 3(2) of the Construction and Use Regulations;
“the Construction and Use Regulations” means the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986(5);
“design gross weight” means the weight which the vehicle is designed or adapted not to exceed when in normal use and travelling on a road laden;
“EEA State” means a State which is a contracting party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area signed at Oporto on 2nd May 1992 as adjusted by the Protocol signed at Brussels on 17th March 1993(6);
“family of types” has the same meaning as in Annex XII of the 1970 Directive;
“goods vehicle” means a vehicle of a kind specified in regulation 4(1)(b);
“kg” means kilograms;
“kph” means kilometres per hour;
“the Lighting Regulations” means the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989(7);
“mm” means millimetres;
“mph” means miles per hour;
“registered” means registered under the Vehicle Excise and Regulation Act 1994(8);
“relevant vehicle” has the meaning given in regulation 4(3);
“Schedule 2 vehicle” has the meaning given in Schedule 2;
“subject matter” means a subject matter in relation to which approval requirements are specified in Schedule 3 or 4 and “applicable subject matter” in relation to a vehicle means a subject matter as respects which approval requirements are applicable to the vehicle in accordance with these Regulations;
“wheel” has the meaning given in regulation 3(2) of the Construction and Use Regulations.
(2) References to vehicles of categories M1, M2, M3, N1, N2 and N3 are to vehicles of those categories as defined in Annex II.A of the 1970 Directive.
(3) A reference in any provision of these Regulations to a prescribed fee is a reference to the fee (if any) for the time being prescribed for the purposes of that provision in regulations made under section 61 of the 1988 Act.
(4) Paragraphs (7) and (8) of regulation 3 of the Construction and Use Regulations (determination of the numbers of wheels and axles of a vehicle) shall apply for the purposes of these Regulations other than item 16 of Schedule 3 as they apply for the purposes of the Construction and Use Regulations other than regulations 26 and 27.
(5) For the purposes of these Regulations, a vehicle is to be regarded as being manufactured on or after a particular date if it is first assembled on or after that date, even if it includes one or more parts which were manufactured before that date.
(6) Schedule 6 of these Regulations—
(a)defines expressions relating to Community instruments and ECE Regulations (including references to complying with provisions of such instruments); and
(b)sets out details of Community instruments and ECE Regulations referred to in these Regulations.
Cmnd. 2972 and 2183.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: