- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
5.—(1) Every operator shall prepare and keep a document setting out his policy with respect to the prevention of major accidents (in these Regulations referred to as a “major accident prevention policy document”).
(2) The policy referred to in paragraph (1) shall be designed to guarantee a high level of protection for persons and the environment by appropriate means, structures and management systems.
(3) The major accident prevention policy document shall—
(a)take account of the principles specified in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Schedule 2; and
(b)include sufficient particulars to demonstrate that the operator has established a safety management system which takes account of the principles specified in paragraphs 3 and 4 of that Schedule.
(4) In the event of the modification of the establishment or installation, the process carried on there, or the nature or quantity of dangerous substances present there which could (in each case) have significant repercussions with respect to the prevention of major accidents, the operator shall review and where necessary revise the major accident prevention policy document.
(5) The operator shall implement the policy set out in his major accident prevention policy document.
(6) Subject to paragraph 1 of Part 1 of Schedule 4 and paragraph 1 of Part 2 of that Schedule, this regulation shall not apply to an establishment to which regulation 7 applies.