- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
4th November 1999
Laid before Parliament
10th November 1999
Coming into force
1st December 1999
Whereas an application for the purpose of establishing an education action zone has been made to the Secretary of State with the consent of the governing bodies of every school listed in Schedule 2 to this Order.
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred on the Secretary of State by sections 10(1), 11 and 138(7) of, and paragraph 2 of Schedule 1 to, the School Standards and Framework Act 1998(1), the Secretary of State for Education and Employment hereby makes the following Order:
1. This Order may be cited as the Wednesbury Education Action Zone Order 1999 and shall come into force on 1st December 1999.
2. In this Order—
“partners” means those persons listed in Schedule 1 to this Order; and
“zone school” means a school listed in Schedule 2 to this Order.
3. The schools listed in Schedule 2 to this Order shall constitute collectively an education action zone under the name of the Wednesbury Education Action Zone (“the zone”) for the purposes of Chapter III of Part I of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.
4. There shall be an Education Action Forum for the zone to be known as the Wednesbury Education Action Forum (“the Forum”), the membership of which shall include—
(a)one person appointed by the governing body of each zone school, unless any such governing body choose not to make such an appointment;
(b)either one or two persons appointed by the Secretary of State; and
(c)one person appointed by each partner, unless any partner chooses not to make such an appointment.
5. The Forum may at any time appoint additional members as follows—
(a)up to five persons representing the interests of business in the area served by the zone schools;
(b)up to five parents of registered pupils attending zone schools;
(c)one person nominated by the senior police officer responsible for policing in Wednesbury;
(d)up to eight persons who are members of trade unions representing either teaching staff or non-teaching staff working at zone schools; and
(e)one person nominated by each of the organisations listed in Schedule 3.
6. Articles 7 to 9 shall have effect for the purpose of prescribing the circumstances and cases in which a person is to be disqualified for holding, or continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum.
7.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this article, a person shall be disqualified for holding, or for continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum if he has been adjudged bankrupt or has made a composition or arrangement with his creditors; and a member, on becoming so disqualified, shall give written notice of the fact to the secretary to the Forum.
(2) Where a person is disqualified by reason of his having been adjudged bankrupt, that disqualification shall cease—
(a)unless the bankruptcy order made against that person is previously annulled, on his discharge from bankruptcy; and
(b)if the bankruptcy order is so annulled, on the date of the annulment.
(3) Where a person is disqualified by reason of his having made a composition or arrangement with his creditors and he pays his debts in full, the disqualification shall cease on the date on which the payment is completed and in any other case it shall cease on the expiration of three years from the date on which the terms of the deed of composition or arrangement are fulfilled.
8.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2) a person shall be disqualified for holding, or for continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum if—
(a)within five years before his appointment would otherwise have taken effect or since his appointment, he has been convicted, whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere, of any offence and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of not less than three months without the option of a fine;
(b)within twenty years before his appointment would otherwise have taken effect, he has been convicted as aforesaid and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment for a period of more than two and a half years; or
(c)he has at any time been convicted as aforesaid and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment of not less than five years.
(2) For the purposes of this article there shall be disregarded any conviction by or before a court outside the United Kingdom of an offence in respect of conduct which, if it had taken place in any part of the United Kingdom, would not have constituted an offence under the law in force in that part of the United Kingdom.
9. Any member of the Forum who, without the consent of the Forum, has failed to attend the meetings thereof for a continuous period of six months beginning with the date of a meeting shall, on the expiry of that period, be disqualified for continuing to be a member of the Forum without prejudice however, to his re-appointment.
10. The chairman of the Forum elected in accordance with paragraph 2 of Schedule 1 to the School Standards and Framework Act 1998, shall hold office for one year from the date of his election (unless he resigns his office earlier), without prejudice to his eligibility to be re-elected for a further such period.
Minister of State,
Department for Education and Employment
4th November 1999
The following persons are “partners” for the purposes of appointing members of the Forum:
Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council in their capacity as a local education authority
World Leadership Challenge Ltd., Black Arrow House, 2 Chandos Road, London NW10 6NF (Co. No. 2173751)
The UK Educational Network Service Alliance (UKENSA), 5 St. Peter’s Street, Stamford, Lincolnshire PE9 4DN (Registered Charity No. 3511492)
International Business Education Co-operation (IBEC), King’s College Hampstead, Bay House, Kidderpore Avenue, London NW3 7ST (Registered Charity No. 1043498)
Spring Education Ltd., 2nd Floor, SPA House, 11/17 Worple Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4JS (Co. No. 29265583)
The Co-operative Bank, North Midlands Business Centre, Festival Way, Festival Park, Stoke-on-Trent ST1 5UA (Co. No. 990937)
West Bromwich Albion Football Club, The Tom Silk Building, Halfords Lane, West Bromwich B71 4BR (Co. No. 3295063)
Jubilee Arts, 84 High Street, West Bromwich B70 6JW (Registered Charity No. 506024)
Articles 2 and 3
|2042||Albert Pritchard||Infants||Coleman Road WS10 9QG|
|2078||Holyhead||Primary||Holyhead Road WS10 7PZ|
|5400||Manor Community||Secondary||Friar Park Road WS10 0JS|
|2045||Mesty Croft||Primary||St. Luke’s Road WS10 0QY|
|2046||Moorlands||Primary||Winchester Road, West Bromwich B71 2NZ|
|2047||Old Park||Primary||Old Park Road WS10 9LX|
|2048||Park Hill||Primary||Coronation Road WS10 0TJ|
|3304||St. John’s CE||Primary||Addison Terrace WS10 7AL|
|3305||St. Mary’s RC||Primary||Manor House Road WS10 9PN|
|4600||Stuart Barthurst RC||Secondary||Wood Green Road WS10 9QS|
|2050||Tameside||Primary||Walton Road WS10 9BW|
|2183||The Priory||Primary||Dorsett Road WS10 0JG|
|4023||Wodensborough||Secondary||Hydes Road WS10 0DR|
|4024||Wood Green||Secondary||Wood Green Road WS10 9QU|
|2051||Wood Green JNR||Primary||Hobs Road WS10 9BW|
Sandwell Health Action Zone
Sandwell Early Years Development and Childcare Partnership (PO Box 41, 402 High Street, West Bromwich)
Sandwell Community Library Services
Sandwell Education Business Partnership (PO Box 41, 402 High Street, West Bromwich)
Sandwell Youth Detached Team (Community Links Department, Moore Street, West Bromwich)
Sandwell College (Woden Road South, Wednesbury)
Wednesbury 2000 (The Vicarage, Little Hill, Church Hill, Wednesbury)
Prospects Careers Service
Rathbone Community Industry (Wrekin House, Market Street, Wellington, Shropshire)
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order establishes the Wednesbury Education Action Zone, which comprises the schools listed in Schedule 2. The Order also provides (in articles 4 and 5) for the membership of the Education Action Forum for the zone.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: