- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
4.—(1) On 1st October 1995 the Regulations shall be amended as follows.
(2) In Regulation 8, in paragraph (2), at the beginning there shall be inserted “Parts I to III of”.
(3) The following paragraphs shall be added to Regulation 11—
“(3) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5) below, where a contract entered into before 1st October 1995 falls to be performed or to be performed partly on or after that date and the contract refers to a unit of measurement defined in Part IV of Schedule 3 to these Regulations, then, on and after that date, that reference shall (except where the unit is used otherwise than as a primary indication of quantity), be construed in the specified circumstances as a reference to the value set out in the appropriate column of that Schedule in relation to that unit; and accordingly any calculation that has under the contract to be made in those circumstances by reference to that unit shall instead be made by reference to that value.
(4) Where a contract for which paragraph (3) above provides relates to any of the fields of application specified in Schedule 3A to these Regulations, any reference in the contract to a unit of measurement authorised by Regulation 13 of these Regulations for use in relation to that field is not required to be construed as that paragraph provides until 1st January 2000.
(5) Where a contract for which paragraph (3) above provides relates to any of the fields of application specified in Schedule 3B to these Regulations, any reference in the contract to a unit of measurement authorised by Regulation 14 of these Regulations for use in relation to that field is not required to be construed as that paragraph provides.”.
(4) After Regulation 11 there shall be added the following—
12. Subject to Regulations 13 and 14 below, the units of measurement and their symbols and abbreviations specified in Part Iv of Schedule 3 to these Regulations are not authorised for use in the specified circumstances on and after 1st October 1995 (except as supplementary indications in accordance with Regulation 7).
13. The units of measurement specified in Schedule 3A to these Regulations are, together with their symbols and abbreviations, authorised for use on and after 1st October 1995, but before 1st January 2000, in the fields of application specified in relation to them in that Schedule.
14. The units of measurement specified in Schedule 3B to these Regulations are, together with their symbols and abbreviations, authorised for use on and after 1st October 1995 in the fields of application specified in relation to them in that Schedule.”.
(5) For “(Regulation 8(2))” at the head of Schedule 3 there shall be substituted “(Regulations 8(2) and 12)”; for the heading of Schedule 3 there shall be substituted “UNITS OF MEASUREMENT WHICH ARE NOT AUTHORISED FOR USE IN THE SPECIFIED CIRCUMSTANCES EXCEPT AS SUPPLEMENTARY INDICATIONS”; and after Part III of Schedule 3 there shall be added the following—
Quantities, names of units, symbols, abbreviations and approximate values:
|inch||1 in||=||2.54 × 10-2m|
|foot||1 ft||=||0.3048 m|
|yard||1 yd||=||0.9144 m|
|mile||1 mile||=||1609 m|
|square foot||1 sq ft||=||0.929 × 10-1 m2|
|square yard||1 sq yd||=||0.8361 m2|
|acre||1 ac||=||4047 m2|
|fluid ounce||1 fl oz||=||28.41 × 10-6 m3|
|gill||1 gill||=||0.1421 × 10-3 m3|
|pint||1 pt||=||0.5683 × 10-3 m3|
|quart||1 qt||=||1.137 × 10-3 m3|
|gallon||1 gal||=||4.546 × 10-3 m3|
|ounce (avoirdupois)||1 oz||=||28.35 × 10-3 kg|
|troy ounce||1 oz tr||=||31.10 × 10-3 kg|
|pound||1 lb||=||0.4536 kg|
|therm||1 therm||=||105.506 × 106 J”.|
(6) After Schedule 3 there shall be added the following—
|Unit||Field of application|
|fluid ounce pint||Beer, cider, water, lemonade and fruit juice in returnable containers|
|ounce (avoirdupois) pound||Goods for sale loose from bulk|
|Unit||Field of application|
|inch foot yard mile||Road traffic signs, distance and speed measurement|
Dispense of draught beer or cider
Milk in returnable containers
|troy ounce||Transactions in precious metals”|
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.