- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
18. (1) Where a dangerous substance may give rise to a risk of fire or explosion, every person engaged in the handling of that substance and both the owner and the operator of any berth on which that substance is kept or handled, shall observe all the precautions necessary for preventing, and for minimising the effect of, any such fire or explosion.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1)–
(a)the owner of the berth shall ensure that adequate means for fighting fires are available;
(b)the berth operator shall ensure that adequately trained personnel are available sufficient to operate the fire-fighting equipment that would be required to provide first-aid fire-fighting appropriate to the type and quantity of the dangerous substance being loaded or unloaded;
(c)the operator and the owner of the berth shall ensure that ready access by the emergency services is abailable at all times to any vessel at a berth which is carrying, loading or unloading any such dangerous substance.
(3) No person shall smoke, use naked lights or any other source of ignition or carry any source of ignition within any area in which such activities have been prohibited by the harbour authority or the berth operator.
(4) In this regulation, “owner of the berth” means any person having overall control and management of the berth, and includes a lessee.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: