Search Legislation

Imperial College Act 1999

What Version

 Help about what version
  • Latest available (Revised)
  • Original (As enacted)

Opening Options

 Help about opening options

Status:

This is the original version (as it was originally enacted). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.

Imperial College Act 1999

1999 CHAPTER iii

An Act to unite Wye College with the Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine; to transfer all rights, properties, assets and liabilities from Wye College to the said Imperial College; and for connected purposes.

[30th June 1999]

WHEREAS—

(1)

The Imperial College of Science and Technology was established by Royal Charter in 1907, combining the Royal College of Science, the Royal School of Mines and the City and Guilds College, for the purpose of giving the highest specialised instruction, and providing the fullest equipment for the most advanced training and research in various branches of science, especially in its application to industry:

(2)

The Imperial College of Science and Technology became a School of the University of London in 1908:

(3)

On 22nd June 1988, the Royal Charter of the Imperial College of Science and Technology was amended by Order in Council to change the name of the body to the Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine (“Imperial College”) with the purpose, inter alia, of carrying on the work of St. Mary’s Hospital Medical School:

(4)

By the [1988 c.xxiv.] Imperial College Act 1988, which came into effect on 1st August 1988, St. Mary’s Hospital Medical School became united with Imperial College:

(5)

By the [1997 c.ii.] Imperial College Act 1997, which came into effect on 1st August 1997, the Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School became united with Imperial College:

(6)

On 24th June 1998 the said Royal Charter of 1907 was replaced by a new Royal Charter making modern provision for the governance of Imperial College with effect from 1st October 1998:

(7)

The College of St. Gregory and St. Martin at Wye was founded in 1447 as a religious house and was dissolved in 1545, after which the site continued to be used for educational purposes, becoming a grammar school in 1627:

(8)

The Grammar School at Wye continued until 1894 when the South Eastern Agricultural College was established on the site:

(9)

The South Eastern Agricultural College became a school of the University of London in 1898 and in 1946 the said College entered into association with the Horticultural College for Women, Swanley:

(10)

On 13th September 1948 those associated bodies were incorporated by Royal Charter as The College of St. Gregory and St. Martin at Wye generally known as “Wye College” having the objects among others of providing for persons of both sexes instruction and means of research in all or any of the subjects relating to the practice and science of agriculture and horticulture comprised in the Faculty of Science of the University of London and in such other subjects of or cognate to a University Education in Agriculture and Horticulture as may be decided upon from time to time by the Governing Body of Wye College:

(11)

The work of teaching and research carried on by Imperial College and Wye College respectively is in many respects complementary and it is desirable that that work should be enhanced by the unification of those bodies:

(12)

Imperial College and Wye College have agreed that it is expedient that they should be united as one college in accordance with the provisions of this Act:

(13)

It is expedient that the other provisions contained in this Act should be enacted:

(14)

The objects of this Act cannot be attained without the authority of Parliament:

May it therefore please Your Majesty that it may be enacted, and be it enacted, by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

Back to top

Options/Help

Print Options

Close

Legislation is available in different versions:

Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.

Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.

Close

Opening Options

Different options to open legislation in order to view more content on screen at once

Close

More Resources

Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:

  • the original print PDF of the as enacted version that was used for the print copy
  • lists of changes made by and/or affecting this legislation item
  • confers power and blanket amendment details
  • all formats of all associated documents
  • correction slips
  • links to related legislation and further information resources
Close

More Resources

Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:

  • the original print PDF of the as enacted version that was used for the print copy
  • correction slips

Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including:

  • lists of changes made by and/or affecting this legislation item
  • confers power and blanket amendment details
  • all formats of all associated documents
  • links to related legislation and further information resources