- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Employment Rights (Increase of Limits) Order (Northern Ireland) 2002 and shall come into operation on 10th March 2002.
(2) In this Order—
(a)“the 1995 Order” means the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Northern Ireland) Order 1995(1);
(b)“the 1996 Order” means the Employment Rights (Northern Ireland) Order 1996(2).
2. Subject to Article 4, the Employment Rights (Increase of Limits) Order (Northern Ireland) 2001(3) is revoked.
3. Subject to Article 4, each of the limits referred to in the first and second columns of the Table in the Schedule to this Order is increased by the substitution, in place of the old amount specified in the third column, of the new amount specified in the fourth column.
4. (1) The increases provided for in Article 3 have effect in any case where the appropriate date falls on or after 10th March 2002.
(2) In a case where the appropriate date falls before 10th March 2002, the limits having effect in relation to the case immediately before 10th March 2002 continue to apply.
(3) In this Article “the appropriate date” means—
(a)in the case of an application made under Article 34 of the 1995 Order (compensation for unjustifiable discipline by a trade union), the date of the determination infringing the applicant’s right;
(b)in the case of a complaint presented under Article 28(1)(a) of the 1996 Order (refusal of employment on grounds related to union membership) or Article 28(1)(b) of that Order (refusal of service of employment agency on grounds related to union membership), the date of the conduct to which the complaint relates, as determined by Article 28 of that Order;
(c)in the case of an application made under Article 40(2) of the 1995 Order (compensation for expulsion from a trade union), the date of the expulsion from the union;
(d)in the case of a guarantee payment to which an employee is entitled under Article 60 of the 1996 Order, the day in respect of which the payment is due;
(e)in the case of a complaint presented under Article 145 of the 1996 Order (complaints of unfair dismissal), for the purpose of calculating under Article 152 of that Order the basic award or compensatory award, the effective date of termination as defined by Article 129 of that Order;
(f)in the case of an award under Article 15(1) or (3) of the 1996 Order, where an employer has failed to comply fully with the terms of an order for reinstatement or re-engagement or has failed to reinstate or re-engage the complainant in accordance with such an order, the date by which the order of reinstatement (specified under Article 148(2)(c) of the 1996 Order) or, as the case may be, re-engagement (specified under Article 149(2)(f) of that Order) should have been complied with;
(g)in the case of entitlement to a redundancy payment by virtue of Article 170(1)(a) of the 1996 Order (dismissal by reason of redundancy), the relevant date as defined by Article 180 of that Order;
(h)in the case of entitlement to a redundancy payment by virtue of Article 170(1)(b) of the 1996 Order (lay-off or short-time), the relevant date as defined by Article 188 of that Order; and
(i)in the case of entitlement to a payment under Article 227 of the 1996 Order (payments by the Department), the appropriate date as defined by Article 230 of that Order.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department for Employment and Learning on 31st January 2002.
Minister for Employment and Learning
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: