- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
1. (1) Article 13 of the Tourism (Northern Ireland) Order 1992 (NI 3) (certified tourist establishments to be inspected on at least one occasion in each year) is amended as follows.
(2) In paragraph (1)(a) for “in each year” substitute “in every period of 4 years”.
(3) In paragraph (4) for “11 months” substitute “47 months”.
(4) At the end add—
“(14) The Department may by order substitute for the period for the time being mentioned in paragraph (1)(a) such other period as is specified in the order.
(15) An order under paragraph (14)—
(a)shall not be made unless a draft of the order has been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, the Assembly; and
(b)may contain such incidental, consequential, supplementary or transitional provisions (including provisions modifying this Order) as the Department thinks necessary or expedient.”.
2. (1) The Tourism (Northern Ireland) Order 1992 (NI 3) is amended as follows.
(2) After Article 14 insert—
14A. (1) The Board may, by notice in the prescribed form served on the proprietor of a certified tourist establishment, require the proprietor to submit to the Board before a specified date a return in the prescribed form—
(a)stating whether the proprietor continues to provide tourist accommodation in that establishment; and
(b)providing such other information in relation to that establishment as may be prescribed.
(2) The date specified in a notice under paragraph (1) must not be earlier than—
(a)30 days after the date of service of the notice; and
(b)11 months after—
(i)the date of the last previous statutory inspection of the establishment; or
(ii)if any notice has been served under paragraph (1) after the date of the last previous statutory inspection of the establishment, the date specified in that notice.
(3) Where a return is made under this Article, the Board shall cause the certification of the establishment under Article 13 to be reviewed in the light of the information contained in the return; and a review under this paragraph is referred to in this Part as a “statutory review”.”.
(3) In Article 15(1) for the words from the beginning to “Article 13(1)(a)” substitute—
(a)on a statutory inspection of a certified tourist establishment under Article 13(1)(a), or
(b)on a statutory review of a certified tourist establishment under Article 14A(3),”.
(4) After Article 17 insert—
17A. (1) Where the proprietor of a certified tourist establishment fails to comply with a notice served on him under Article 14A(1), the Board shall issue and serve on the proprietor a notice revoking the certificate in force in relation to that establishment.
(2) A notice under paragraph (1)—
(a)shall be in the prescribed form;
(b)shall specify the date (not being less than 30 days from the date on which the notice is issued) on which the certificate shall be revoked;
(c)shall draw the proprietor’s attention to the effect of Articles 14, 18 and 19.
(3) A notice under paragraph (1) shall, unless rescinded under Article 18 or quashed under Article 19, have effect to revoke a certificate on the date specified in the notice in accordance with paragraph (2)(b) notwithstanding that on that date a review of the issue of that notice is pending under Article 18 or an appeal against the notice is pending under Article 19.”.
(5) In Article 13(9) for “or 17(1)” insert “, 17(1) or 17A(1)”.
(6) In Article 18(1) and (2) for “or 16(2)” substitute “, 16(2) or 17A(1)”.
(7) In Article 18(5) after “16(2)” insert “or 17A(1)”.
(8) In Article 19(1) for “or 16(2)” substitute “, 16(2) or 17A(1)”.
(9) In Article 19(3) after “16(2)” insert “or 17A(1)”.
3. (1) Article 16 of the Tourism (Northern Ireland) Order 1992 (NI 3) (inspection other than statutory inspection) is amended as follows.
(2) At the end insert—
“(5) Where on an inspection of a certified tourist establishment under this Article it appears to an officer of the Board appropriate to do so, the officer may by notice served on the proprietor of the establishment amend or add to any conditions subject to which the certificate in respect of the establishment has been issued.
(6) Where such a notice is served the certificate shall have effect as from the time of service as if it had been issued subject to the amended or additional conditions.”.
4. (1) In the Tourism (Northern Ireland) Order 1992 (NI 3) in Article 11(1)(c) (purposes of financial assistance) after head (iii) insert—
“(iv)to provide or improve tourist accommodation,”.
(2) The Schedule (which provides for the transfer of certain assets and liabilities from Invest Northern Ireland to the Northern Ireland Tourist Board in consequence of subsection (1)) has effect.
(3) Section 3(4) of the Industrial Development Act (Northern Ireland) 2002 (c. 1) is repealed.
5. In Schedule 1 to the Tourism (Northern Ireland) Order 1992 (the Northern Ireland Tourist Board) for paragraph 3 (membership) substitute—
“3. (1) The Board shall consist of—
(a)a chairman, and
(b)not more than 8 other members,
appointed by the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment (“the Minister”).
(2) Appointments under sub-paragraph (1) shall be made from among persons who appear to the Minister to have experience in any field of activity which the Minister considers is relevant to the discharge of the functions of the Board.
(3) The Minister may appoint one or more of the members appointed under sub-paragraph (1)(b) as a deputy chairman.”.
6. (1) This Act may be cited as the Tourism (Amendment) Act (Northern Ireland) 2011.
(2) The following provisions of this Act come into operation on the day after Royal Assent—
(a)section 4(2) and the Schedule;
(3) Section 1(3) comes into operation 3 years after the day appointed under subsection (4) for the coming into operation of section 1(2).
(4) The remaining provisions of this Act come into operation on such day or days as the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment may by order appoint.
(5) An order under subsection (4) may contain such transitional provisions as that Department thinks necessary or expedient.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: