- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
Provide that certain asbestos-related conditions are actionable personal injuries; and for connected purposes.
[25th July 2011]
BE IT ENACTED by being passed by the Northern Ireland Assembly and assented to by Her Majesty as follows:
1.—(1) Asbestos-related pleural plaques are a personal injury which constitutes actionable damage for the purposes of an action for damages for personal injuries.
(2) Any rule of law the effect of which is that asbestos-related pleural plaques do not constitute actionable damage ceases to apply to the extent it has that effect.
(3) But nothing in this section otherwise affects any statutory provision or rule of law which determines whether and in what circumstances a person may be liable for damages in respect of personal injuries.
(4) In this section and in section 2 “statutory provision” has the meaning given by section 1(f) of the Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 (c. 33).
2.—(1) For the avoidance of doubt, a condition mentioned in subsection (2) which has not caused and is not causing impairment of a person’s physical condition is a personal injury which constitutes actionable damage for the purposes of an action for damages for personal injuries.
(2) Those conditions are—
(a)asbestos-related pleural thickening; and
(3) Any rule of law the effect of which is that such a condition does not constitute actionable damage ceases to apply to the extent it has that effect.
(4) But nothing in this section otherwise affects any statutory provision or rule of law which determines whether and in what circumstances a person may be liable for damages in respect of personal injuries.
3.—(1) This section applies to an action for damages for personal injuries—
(a)in which the damages claimed consist of or include damages in respect of—
(i)asbestos-related pleural plaques; or
(ii)a condition to which section 2 applies; and
(b)which, in the case of an action commenced before the date this section comes into operation, has not been determined by that date.
(2) For the purposes of Articles 7 and 9 of the Limitation (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 (NI 11) (special time limits for actions in respect of personal injuries and actions under the Fatal Accidents (Northern Ireland) Order 1977), the period beginning with 17 October 2007 and ending with the day on which this section comes into operation is to be left out of account.
4.—(1) This Act (other than this subsection and section 5) comes into operation on such day as the Department of Finance and Personnel may by order appoint.
(2) Sections 1 and 2 are to be treated for all purposes as having always had effect.
(3) But those sections have no effect in relation to—
(a)a claim which is settled before the date on which subsection (2) comes into operation (whether or not legal proceedings in relation to the claim have been commenced); or
(b)legal proceedings which are determined before that date.
5.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Damages (Asbestos-related Conditions) Act (Northern Ireland) 2011.
(2) This Act binds the Crown to the full extent authorised or permitted by the constitutional laws of Northern Ireland.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: