- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
14. Section 79 of the 1847 Act shall, so far as the same is applied by and incorporated in the Acts, be modified by the addition of the following subsections—
“(2) A justice of the peace may on application by the Board dismiss from the office of constable a person appointed under this section.
(3) If a person appointed under this section is dismissed, that person shall thereupon cease to be a constable, but any such dismissal shall be without prejudice to any claim he may have as an employee or ex-employee of the Board under the Employment Rights Act 1996(1).
(4) The Board may suspend any constable appointed under this section for any reason appearing to the Board to be a good reason and thereupon he shall cease for the duration of his suspension to have the powers, duties and privileges of a constable.”.
15. The Board may on such terms and conditions as they think fit agree with any person or body who owns or has an interest in any premises within the port police area to make available the services of the board’s police force and any constables for the time being serving with that force within those premises to that person or body.
16. A person who, with intent to deceive, impersonates a constable or makes any statement or does any act calculated falsely to suggest that he is a constable shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.
17. The Board shall be liable in respect of torts committed by members of their police force (appointed pursuant to section 79 of the 1847 Act) in the performance or purported performance of the functions of those members in like manner as an employer is liable in respect of torts committed by his employees in the course of their employment and accordingly shall in respect of any such tort be treated for all purposes as a joint tortfeasor.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: