- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
36.—(1) This regulation applies where a registered European lawyer (“the lawyer”) is granted entry into the profession of solicitor or barrister.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), the lawyer shall be entitled to continue to practise in England and Wales or Northern Ireland, as the case may be, under his home professional title, and to use his home professional title, expressed in an official language of his home State, alongside the title of solicitor or barrister, provided that he continues to be authorised in his home State to pursue professional activities under that title.
(3) For the purposes of rules of professional conduct, including those relating to disciplinary and complaints procedures, the lawyer’s continuing practice in the United Kingdom under his home professional title shall be deemed to form part of his practice as a solicitor or barrister, and those rules shall apply to his practice under his home professional title as they do to his practice as a solicitor or barrister.
(4) Where this regulation applies, a lawyer’s registration in accordance with regulation 17 with the professional body whose title he has acquired shall cease from the date he is entitled to use that title.
(5) Paragraph (4) shall not affect any registration the lawyer may have in another part of the United Kingdom.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: