- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
49. (1) The governor may order an inmate, other than an inmate aged less than 17, to be put under restraint where this is necessary to prevent the inmate from injuring himself or others, damaging property or creating a disturbance.
(2) Notice of such an order shall be given without delay to a member of the board of visitors and to the medical officer.
(3) On receipt of the notice the medical officer shall inform the governor whether he concurs in the order. The governor shall give effect to any recommendation which the medical officer may make.
(4) An inmate shall not be kept under restraint longer than necessary, nor shall he be so kept for longer than 24 hours without a direction in writing given by a member of the board of visitors or by an officer of the Secretary of State (not being an officer of a young offender institution). Such a direction shall state the grounds for the restraint and the time during which it may continue.
(5) Particulars of every case of restraint under the foregoing provisions of this rule shall be forthwith recorded.
(6) Except as provided by this rule no inmate shall be put under restraint otherwise than for safe custody during removal, or on medical grounds by direction of the medical officer. No inmate shall be put under restraint as a punishment.
(7) Any means of restraint shall be of a pattern authorised by the Secretary of State, and shall be used in such manner and under such conditions as the Secretary of State may direct.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: