- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
17. (1) If the Department refuses an application for a felling licence in the case of any trees, any person who is for the time being the owner of the trees is entitled to compensation for any depreciation in the value of the trees which is attributable to deterioration in the quality of the timber comprised therein in consequence of the refusal of a felling licence for them.
(2) Compensation under this section shall be recoverable from the Department on a claim made in the prescribed manner.
(3) Claims for the compensation in the case of any trees may be made from time to time in respect of deterioration taking place after the refusal of a felling licence for those trees, but—
(a)no such claim shall be made in respect of deterioration taking place more than 10 years before the date of the claim; and
(b)if the trees have been felled, no such claim shall be made after the expiration of one year from the date of the felling.
(4) In calculating compensation—
(a)no account shall be taken of deterioration in the quality of the timber which is attributable to neglect of the trees after the refusal of a felling licence for them; and
(b)the value of the trees at any time shall be ascertained on the basis of prices current at the date of the claim.
(5) Any question of disputed compensation shall be referred to and determined by the Lands Tribunal.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: