- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. At the current time any known changes or effects made by subsequent legislation have been applied to the text of the legislation you are viewing by the editorial team. Please see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for details regarding the timescales for which new effects are identified and recorded on this site.
2—(1) The principal Act is amended as follows.
(2) In section 50 (local government boundaries) for subsections (1) and (2) substitute—
“(1) The Department shall appoint a Local Government Boundaries Commissioner—
(a)in the year 2008; and
(b)thereafter, during the period not less than 8 or more than 12 years from the date of the submission under subsection (6) of the final report of the last previous Commissioner appointed under this subsection.
(2) The function of a Commissioner appointed under subsection (1)(a) shall be to make recommendations regarding—
(a)the boundaries and names of the 11 districts mentioned in section 1 of the Local Government (Boundaries) Act (Northern Ireland) 2008; and
(b)the number, boundaries and names of the wards into which each district is to be divided.”.
(3) In Schedule 4 (provisions relating to the Commissioner)—
(a)for paragraph 3(2)(c) substitute—
“(c)the Chief Survey Officer of Land and Property Services; and”;
(b)for paragraph 6(2)(b) substitute—
“(b)that he will in due course publish provisional recommendations and cause a public hearing to be held in each of the 11 districts mentioned in section 1 of the Local Government (Boundaries) Act (Northern Ireland) 2008.”;
(c)for paragraph 18 substitute—
“18—(1) Subject to sub-paragraphs (2) and (3)—
(a)in the district of Belfast the number of wards shall be 60;
(b)in each other district the number of wards shall be 40.
(2) Where, having regard to the matters mentioned in paragraph 17, the Commissioner considers it desirable that the number of wards in any district should be more than that specified in sub-paragraph (1), the number of wards in that district may be increased by not more than 5.
(3) Where, having regard to the matters mentioned in paragraph 17, the Commissioner considers it desirable that the number of wards in any district should be fewer than that specified in sub-paragraph (1), the number of wards in that district may be decreased by not more than 5.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: