- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
Street Trading Act (Northern Ireland) 2001, Section 2 is up to date with all changes known to be in force on or before 30 May 2016. There are changes that may be brought into force at a future date. Changes that have been made appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Act, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Act. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
2.—(1) Where an authorised officer finds a person on any occasion and has reason to believe that on that occasion he is committing or has committed a fixed penalty offence, he may give that person a fixed penalty notice in respect of that offence.N.I.
(2) A person to whom a fixed penalty notice is given under this paragraph in respect of an offence shall not be liable to be convicted of that offence if the fixed penalty is paid in accordance with paragraph 3 before the expiration of the period of 14 days from the date of the notice or such longer period, if any, as may be specified in the notice.
(3) Where a person is given a fixed penalty notice under this paragraph in respect of an offence, proceedings shall not be taken against any person for that offence until the expiration of the period of 14 days from the date of the notice or such longer period, if any, as may have been specified in the notice.
(4) A notice under this paragraph—
(a)shall be in such form as the Department may prescribe; and
(b)shall give such particulars of the circumstances alleged to constitute the offence as are necessary for providing reasonable information of the offence.
(5) A notice under this paragraph shall state—
(a)the period during which, by virtue of sub-paragraph (3), proceedings will not be taken for the offence;
(b)the amount of the fixed penalty; and
(c)the person to whom and the address at which the fixed penalty may be paid.
(6) In this paragraph “proceedings” means any criminal proceedings in respect of the act constituting the offence specified in the notice under this paragraph, and “convicted” shall be construed in like manner.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: