- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As enacted)
This is the original version (as it was originally enacted).
22.—(1) The Comptroller and Auditor General may inspect—
(a)the accounts of any body to which this section applies, and
(b)any documents relating to those accounts which are held or controlled —
(i)by the body; or
(ii)in pursuance of arrangements made by the body for the compiling or handling of any of its financial records.
(2) The Comptroller and Auditor General shall not exercise his powers under subsection (1) in relation to a body unless it appears to him that—
(a)it is appropriate to do so in view of public concern about any matter relating to the finances of the body or its financial transactions, or
(b)it is otherwise appropriate to do so in the public interest.
(3) Subject to subsection (4), this section applies to a body if it appears to the Comptroller and Auditor General that—
(a)the accounts of the body are not required to be examined by, and are not otherwise open to the inspection of, the Comptroller and Auditor General by virtue of—
(i)any statutory provision,
(ii)any agreement made between that body and a Northern Ireland department, or
(iii)any conditions imposed by a Northern Ireland department in pursuance of any statutory power, whether in connection with the provision of financial assistance or otherwise, and
(b)the body exercises functions of a public nature or is entirely or substantially funded from public money.
(4) This section does not apply to a district council.
(5) Any person who holds or has control of any accounts or other documents mentioned in subsection (1) shall give the Comptroller and Auditor General any assistance, information or explanation which he requires in relation to any of those documents.
(6) The Comptroller and Auditor General may report to the Assembly the results of any inspection carried out by him under this section.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Text created by the Northern Ireland Assembly department responsible for the subject matter of the Act to explain what the Act sets out to achieve and to make the Act accessible to readers who are not legally qualified. Explanatory Notes accompany all Acts of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: