- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
35. (1) The Comhairle may by notice require the owner or occupier of a pier, landing place, embankment, structure or other work which in the opinion of the Comhairle is, or is likely to become, by reason of its insecure condition or want of repair–
(a)dangerous to persons or vessels using a harbour area; or
(b)a hindrance to the navigation of a harbour area;
to remedy its condition to the satisfaction of a duly authorised officer of the Comhairle within a reasonable time specified in the notice.
(2) If a person to whom notice is given under this article fails to comply with it within the time stated in the notice or, if he appeals and the appeal is not allowed, within the time stated in the notice or such other time as the court may substitute therefor–
(a)he shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale; and
(b)the Comhairle may carry out the works it considers necessary to remedy the condition of the pier, landing place, embankment, structure or other work in question, and may recover the expenses of so doing from the person on whom the notice was served.
(3) A notice under paragraph (1) above shall have annexed to it a copy of this article.
(4) A person aggrieved by a notice served by the Comhairle under paragraph (1) above may appeal under section 50 of the Sheriff Courts (Scotland) Act 1907(1) to the sheriff by way of summary application and the sheriff may confirm, vary or quash the notice as he thinks just, and make such order in the matter as he considers equitable, and the determination of the sheriff on any such appeal shall be binding on all parties, and shall be final.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: