- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
1. The requirements which have to be satisfied in relation to a fuel oil storage area are as follows.
2. The fuel oil storage area shall be surrounded by a bund capable of retaining within the area –
(a)in a case where all the fuel oil within the storage area is contained in one fuel storage tank, a volume of fuel oil not less than 110 per cent of the capacity of the tank;
(b)in a case where all the fuel oil within the storage area is contained in more than one fuel storage tank, a volume of fuel oil not less than whichever is the greater of –
(i)110 per cent of the capacity of the largest tank within the storage area; and
(ii)25 per cent of the total volume of such oil which could be stored in tanks within the area;
(c)in any other case, a volume of fuel oil not less than whichever is the greater of –
(i)110 per cent of the capacity of the largest container within the storage area; and
(ii)25 per cent of the total volume of such oil at any time stored within the area.
3. The bund and the base of the storage area shall be impermeable and shall be designed and constructed so that with proper maintenance they are likely to remain so for a period of at least 20 years.
4. Every part of any fuel storage tank shall be within the bund.
5. Any tap or valve permanently fixed to the tank through which fuel oil can be discharged to the open shall also be within the bund, shall be so arranged as to discharge vertically downwards and shall be shut and locked in that position when not in use.
6. Where fuel from the tank is discharged through a flexible pipe which is permanently attached to the tank –
(a)it shall be fitted with a tap or valve at its end which closes automatically when not in use; and
(b)it shall be kept locked in a way which ensures that it is kept within the bund when not in use.
7. No part of the fuel oil storage area or the bund enclosing it shall be situated within 10 metres of any waterway.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: