- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Private Tenancies (Northern Ireland) Order 2006. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
Whole provisions yet to be inserted into this Order (including any effects on those provisions):
This section lists the commencement orders yet to be applied to the whole Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing. Where applicable the commencement orders are listed under two headings, firstly those that bring some part of the Order you are viewing into force and secondly, those that bring into force legislation that affects some part of the legislation you are viewing. If you are viewing a prospective version or there is a prospective version available there may be commencement orders listed here that are relevant to the provision you are viewing.
55. (1) The rent officer shall, if directed to do so by the Department, conduct a review of registered rents, with a view to determining whether those rents should be increased.
(2) A direction under paragraph (1) may require the rent officer to review the registered rent for all controlled tenancies or for controlled tenancies of such class or description as may be specified in the direction.
(3) When conducting a review the rent officer shall–
(a)take into account the general level of rents for dwelling-houses let by the Executive,
(b)the cost of repairs, and
(c)any other matter appearing to him to be relevant.
(4) Where the rent officer determines under paragraph (1) that any registered rents should be increased, he shall make a recommendation to that effect to the Department.
(5) Where the Department accepts a recommendation under paragraph (4), it shall make an order providing for the increase of those rents–
(a)by an amount recommended by the rent officer, or
(b)by such other amount as the Department, after consultation with the rent officer, considers appropriate.
(6) The amount of an increase may be expressed as a percentage.
(7) Where the Department makes an order under paragraph (5), the rent officer shall make such alterations in the register of rents as appear to him to be necessary in consequence of the order.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Northern Ireland Order in Council and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Order accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Northern Ireland Order in Council made since 2002.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: