- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
10. In Article 7 of the 1989 Order for paragraph (6) (orders specifying assessment arrangements) there shall be substituted—
“(6) An order under paragraph (1)(b) may, instead of containing the provision to be made, refer to provisions in an approved document and direct that those provisions are to have effect or, as the case may be, are to have effect as amended by the order.
(7) In paragraph (6) “approved document” means a document which has been—
(a)prepared by the Northern Ireland Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (“the Council”);
(b)approved by the Department; and
(c)published by the Council.
(8) It shall be the duty of the Council to send to the Board of Governors of every grant-aided school which appears to the Council to be affected a copy of every document published by it under paragraph (7)(c).
(9) An order under paragraph (1)(b) may impose such duties on the Boards of Governors and principals of grant-aided schools as appear to the Department to be necessary or expedient for the purpose of implementing the assessment arrangements specified by the order.”.
11.—(1) The Department may by regulations make such provision as it considers appropriate for requiring the Boards of Governors of grant-aided schools to secure that annual targets are set in respect of the performance of pupils at such schools—
(a)in public examinations or in assessments conducted under Article 6(3) of the 1989 Order at or near the end of key stages 1, 2 and 3, in the case of pupils of compulsory school age; and
(b)in public examinations or in connection with the attainment of other academic or vocational qualifications, in the case of pupils of any age over that age.
(2) Regulations under this Article may require—
(a)such targets; and
(b)the past performance of pupils in the particular examinations or assessments, or in connection with the attainment of the particular qualifications, to which such targets relate, to be published in such manner as is specified in the regulations.
(3) Before making any regulations under this Article the Department shall consult—
(b)the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools;
(c)the Board of Governors and principal of every grant-aided school appearing to it to be affected; and
(d)any other person with whom consultation appears to it to be desirable.
(4) This Article does not apply to—
(a)a school established in a hospital; or
(b)a school of such class or description as may be specified in regulations under this Article.
12.—(1) The Department may by regulations make provision requiring the Board of Governors of each grant-aided school to provide to the Department such individual performance information relating to pupils or former pupils at the school as may be prescribed.
(2) In this Article “individual performance information” means information about the performance of individual pupils (identified in the prescribed manner)—
(a)in any assessment made—
(i)under Article 6(3) of the 1989 Order; or
(ii)under Article 8(1);
(b)in any prescribed public examination;
(c)in connection with the attainment of any vocational qualification; or
(d)in any such other assessment or examination, or in connection with the attainment of any such other qualification, as may be prescribed.
(3) The Department may provide any information received by it under paragraph (1)—
(a)to any prescribed body or person;
(b)to any body or person falling within a prescribed category.
(4) Any body or person holding any individual performance information may provide that information to any body to which this paragraph applies; and any body to which this paragraph applies—
(a)may provide any information received by it under this paragraph—
(i)to the Department; or
(ii)to the Board of Governors of the school attended by the pupil or pupils to whom the information relates; and
(b)may, at such times as the Department may determine, provide to any prescribed body such information received by it under this paragraph as may be prescribed.
(5) Paragraph (4) applies to any body which, for the purposes of or in connection with the functions of the Department relating to education, is responsible for collating or checking information relating to the performance of pupils—
(a)in any assessment or examination falling within paragraph (2)(a), (b) or (d); or
(b)in connection with the attainment of any qualification falling within paragraph (2)(c) or (d).
(6) No individual performance information received under this Article shall be published in any form which includes the name of the pupil or pupils to whom it relates.
(7) References in this Article to the attainment of a qualification of any description include references to the completion of any module or part of a course leading to any such qualification.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: