- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to The Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.
Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.
This section lists the changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Order, associated Parts and Chapters where applicable. This includes any insertions of whole new Parts, Chapters or provisions yet to be inserted into this Order. These effects are included in this view as they may be (but won’t necessarily be) relevant to the specific provision that you are viewing.
11.—(1) In this Part any reference to a school's enrolment number is a reference to the number for the time being applying under the following provisions of this Article to the school.
(2) The enrolment number applying to a school shall be such number as the Department may determine having regard in particular to —
(a)the requirements of directions under Article 18 of the 1986 Order which apply in relation to the school; and
(b)the accommodation available for use by pupils at the school, other than—
(i)in the case of a boarding school, so much of the accommodation as is used wholly or mainly for boarding purposes; and
(ii)in the case of a grammar school, so much of the accommodation as is not available for use by pupils of the secondary department.
(3) The Department may at any time vary a school's enrolment number.
(4) Before making any determination under paragraph (2) or variation under paragraph (3) in relation to a school, the Department shall consult the bodies mentioned in paragraph (7).
(5) Paragraph (4) does not require consultation with the Board of Governors of a school in relation to a variation of the school's enrolment number made by the Department at the request of the Board of Governors.
(6) After making any determination under paragraph (2) or variation under paragraph (3) in relation to a school, the Department shall send notice of the determination or variation to the bodies mentioned in paragraph (7).
(7) The bodies referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6) are—
(a)the Board of Governors of the school;
(b)the board for the area in which the school is situated; and
(c)where the school is a Catholic maintained school, the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.
Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: