- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
12.—(1) A trade union shall secure—
(a)that every person who holds a position in the union to which this Part applies does so by virtue of having been elected to it at an election satisfying the requirements of this Part, and
(b)that no person continues to hold such a position for more than five years without being re-elected at such an election.
(2) The positions to which this Part applies (subject as mentioned below) are—
(a)member of the executive,
(b)any position by virtue of which a person is a member of the executive,
and the requirements referred to above are those set out in Articles 13 to 19.
(3) In this Part “member of the executive” includes any person who, under the rules or practice of the union, may attend and speak at some or all of the meetings of the executive, otherwise than for the purpose of providing the committee with factual information or with technical or professional advice with respect to matters taken into account by the executive in carrying out its functions.
(4) This Part does not apply to the position of president or general secretary if the holder of that position—
(a)is not, in respect of that position, either a voting member of the executive or an employee of the union, (b) holds that position for a period which under the rules of the union cannot end more than 13 months after he took it up, and (c) has not held either position at any time in the period of 12 months ending with the day before he took up that position.
(5) A “voting member of the executive” means a person entitled in his own right to attend meetings of the executive and to vote on matters on which votes are taken by the executive (whether or not he is entitled to attend all such meetings or to vote on all such matters or in all circumstances).
(6) The provisions of this Part apply notwithstanding anything in the rules or practice of the union; and the terms and conditions on which a person is employed by the union shall be disregarded in so far as they would prevent the union from complying with the provisions of this Part.
(7) This Part applies only to a trade union which has its head or main office in Northern Ireland.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: