- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
3.—(1) In Part II of the Contributions and Benefits Act (contributory benefits), after section 30 insert—
30A.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this section, a person who satisfies either of the following conditions is entitled to short-term incapacity benefit in respect of any day of incapacity for work which forms part of a period of incapacity for work.
(2) The conditions are that—
(a)he is under pensionable age on the day in question and satisfies the contribution conditions specified for short-term incapacity benefit in Schedule 3, paragraph 2; or
(b)on that day he is over pensionable age but not more than 5 years over that age, the period of incapacity for work began before he attained pensionable age, and—
(i)he would be entitled to a Category A retirement pension if his entitlement had not been deferred or if he had not made an election under section 54(1) below; or
(ii)he would be entitled to a Category B retirement pension by virtue of the contributions of his deceased spouse, but for any such deferment or election.
(3) A person is not entitled to short-term incapacity benefit for the first 3 days of any period of incapacity for work.
(4) In any period of incapacity for work a person is not entitled to short-term incapacity benefit for more than 364 days.
(5) Where a person ceases by virtue of subsection (4) above to be entitled to short-term incapacity benefit, he is entitled to long-term incapacity benefit in respect of any subsequent day of incapacity for work in the same period of incapacity for work on which he is not over pensionable age.”;.
(2) In Schedule 3 to the Contributions and Benefits Act (contribution conditions for entitlement to benefit), in the heading before paragraph 2 and in sub-paragraph (1) of that paragraph for “sickness benefit” substitute “short-term incapacity benefit”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include: