xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"

F16 Appeal.U.K.

Any person who shall think himself aggrieved by any such summary conviction may appeal to the next court of general or quarter sessions which shall be holden, not less than twelve days after the day of such conviction, for the county, riding, or division wherein the cause of complaint shall have arisen; provided that such person shall give to the complainant a notice in writing of such appeal, and of the cause and matter thereof, within three days after such conviction, and seven clear days at the least before such sessions, and shall also either remain in custody until the sessions, or within such three days enter into a recognizance, or bond of caution in Scotland, with a sufficient surety, before a justice of the peace, conditioned personally to appear at the said sessions, and to try such appeal, and to abide the judgment of the court thereupon, and to pay such costs as shall be awarded by the court; and upon such notice being given, and such recognizance or bond being entered into, the justice before whom the same shall be entered into shall liberate such person if in custody; and the court at such sessions shall hear and determine the matter of the appeal, and shall make such order therein, with or without costs to either party, as to the court shall seem meet; and in case of the dismissal of the appeal, or the affirmance of the conviction, shall order and adjudge the offender to be dealt with and punished according to the conviction, and to pay such costs as shall be awarded; and shall, if necessary, issue process for enforcing such judgment.

Textual Amendments

F1S. 6 repealed (E.W.) by Courts Act 1971 (c. 23), Sch. 11 Pt. IV