- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made) - English
- Original (As made) - Welsh
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
5. After Part 3 (Limiting the application of organic manure), insert—
13A. (1) An occupier of any holding or any person on the occupier’s behalf (“the applicant”) may apply to the Agency for a derogation where 80% or more of the agricultural area is sown with grass.
(2) A derogation application must be submitted—
(a)by 30 April 2010 for a 2010 derogation;
(b)in relation to an application for any year after 2010, between the dates of 1 October and 31 December in the calendar year preceding that in respect of which the application is made.
(3) The Welsh Ministers must publish the manner and form in which the application must be made.
(4) The Agency must grant or refuse a derogation application as soon as practicable and notify the applicant of the decision in writing and, where the Agency refuses a derogation application, must give reasons for the refusal at the same time.
(5) The Agency must refuse a derogation application where it considers the granting of the derogation would have an adverse effect on the integrity of—
(a)a European site; or
(b)a European offshore marine site,
where those sites have been subject to an appropriate assessment under regulation 48 of the Conservation (Natural Habitats, & c.) Regulations 1994(1).
(6) Where the Agency has refused to grant the derogation application, the applicant may appeal in accordance with the procedure set out in regulation 13B.
(7) Where the Agency has granted the derogation application, the holding to which the derogation applies must be designated by the Agency as a derogated holding for the calendar year in respect of which the application was made.
(8) The occupier must keep a record of the derogation application and decision.
(9) In this regulation—
(a)“European offshore marine site” means a European offshore marine site within the meaning of regulation 15 (meaning of European offshore marine site) of the Offshore Marine Conservation (Natural Habitats, &c.) Regulations 2007(2); and
(b)“European site” means a European site within the meaning of regulation 10 (meaning of European site) of the Conservation (Natural Habitats, &c.) Regulations 1994.
13B. (1) Where the Agency has refused a derogation application, the applicant may by notice appeal the decision to an independent panel appointed by the Welsh Ministers for the purpose of these Regulations (“the derogation application appeals panel”).
(2) An appeal against a refusal of a derogation application must be submitted within 30 days beginning on the day after the date of the refusal.
(3) The Welsh Ministers must publish the manner and form in which an appeal must be made.
13C. (1) The derogation application appeals panel must consist of an odd number of persons, not being less than 3 persons, and make its decision by a simple majority.
(2) The derogation application appeals panel must consider the appeal and determine whether or not to allow the appeal.
(3) The derogation application appeals panel must arrive at its decision based on documentation submitted to it by the appellant and the Agency, unless it decides that it needs additional information to form a judgement, in which case it may—
(a)request the appellant, or the Agency, to provide additional material; and
(b)in exceptional circumstances may convene an oral hearing.
(4) At an oral hearing the appellant and the Agency have the right to appear.
(5) All parties must bear their own costs.
13D. (1) If the derogation application appeals panel allows the appeal, the holding to which the derogation application applies must be designated by the Agency as a derogated holding for that calendar year.
(2) The derogation application appeals panel must—
(a)notify the Agency, the applicant and the Welsh Ministers, as soon as reasonably practicable, of its findings; and
(b)where the appeal is refused, give reasons for the refusal.
13E. Schedule 4 has effect in relation to derogated holdings.”.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. The revised version is currently only available in English.
Original (As Enacted or Made) - English:The original English language version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Original (As Enacted or Made) - Welsh:The original Welsh language version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: