- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made) - English
- Original (As made) - Welsh
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
25. (1) Where the adoption agency is considering whether a person may be suitable to adopt a child, the agency must make arrangements for the prospective adopter to receive such preparation for adoption as the agency considers appropriate.
(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply if the adoption agency is satisfied that the requirements set out in that paragraph have been carried out in respect of the prospective adopter by another adoption agency.
(3) Where the prospective adopter is not prepared to undertake the preparation for adoption which the adoption agency considers appropriate in their case, the agency may refuse to proceed further with the prospective adopter’s application for an assessment of their suitability to adopt.
(4) In paragraph (1) “preparation for adoption” includes the provision of information to the prospective adopter about —
(a)the age range, gender and likely needs and background of children who may be placed for adoption by the adoption agency;
(b)the significance and legal implications of adoption for a child and his family;
(c)contact between a child and his natural parents and other relatives where a child is authorised to be placed for adoption or the child is adopted;
(d)the skills needed to be an adoptive parent;
(e)the perspective of the child and the child’s family;
(f)the adoption agency’s procedures in relation to assessment of prospective adopters and placement of a child for adoption; and
(g)the procedure in relation to placement for adoption and adoption.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. The revised version is currently only available in English.
Original (As Enacted or Made) - English:The original English language version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Original (As Enacted or Made) - Welsh:The original Welsh language version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: