- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
19. (1) The counting officer may appoint persons to attend at polling stations for the purpose of detecting personation (“polling observers”).
(2) Where the counting officer is not the relevant returning or counting officer, he or she must give notice in writing of the appointment to the relevant returning or counting officer.
(3) That notice must state the names and addresses of the persons appointed and must be given not later than the fifth day (disregarding any day specified in rule 4) before the day of the poll.
(4) Not more than four polling observers or polling agents, or such greater number as the relevant returning or counting officer may by notice allow, shall be permitted to attend at any particular polling station and if the number of such polling observers or agents exceeds that number, the relevant returning or counting officer must determine which polling observers or agents are permitted to attend by lot and only the polling observers and agents on whom the lot falls shall be deemed to have been duly appointed.
(5) In the following provisions of these Rules references to polling observers shall be taken as references to polling observers whose appointments have been duly made.
(6) Where by these Rules any act or thing is required or authorised to be done in the presence of the polling observers, the non-attendance of any such person at the time and place appointed for the purpose shall not, if the act or thing is otherwise duly done, invalidate the act or thing done.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: