- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
13. (1) The governing body of every maintained school must be constituted in accordance with this regulation.
(2) The total membership of the governing body of a maintained school must be no fewer than seven governors.
(3) The governing body of a maintained school must include the following—
(a)at least two parent governors;
(b)the head teacher unless the head teacher resigns the office of governor in accordance with regulation 19;
(c)one staff governor; and
(d)one local authority governor.
(4) The governing body may in addition appoint such number of co-opted governors as they consider necessary provided that the requirements in regulation 14 are met in respect of governing bodies of foundation and voluntary schools.
(5) The total number of co-opted governors who are also eligible to be elected as staff governors under Schedule 2, when counted with the staff governor and the head teacher, must not exceed one third of the total membership of the governing body.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: