- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
9.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2) a petition shall be a valid petition if—
(a)it is signed (whether before or after the coming into force of these Regulations) by not less than the number of local government electors for the authority’s area that is the verification number; and
(b)it satisfies the requirements of regulation 10; and
(c)it is presented to the local authority to whom it is addressed on a day other than one which falls within a moratorium period.
(2) A petition shall not be invalid by reason only of a failure to satisfy the requirements of regulation 10(1) or 10(2) if the constitutional change in relation to which the referendum is sought can be ascertained.
(3) Where a person signs a petition but the information referred to in regulation 10(3)(a) is not included, or is not included in a legible form, that person’s signature shall be disregarded in determining whether the petition satisfies the requirements of paragraph (1)(a).
(4) If a person signs a petition more than once, that person’s second or subsequent signature shall be disregarded in determining whether the petition satisfies the requirements of paragraph (1)(a).
(5) Any signature on a petition which bears a date earlier than 12 months before the petition date shall be disregarded in determining whether the petition satisfies the requirements of paragraph (1)(a).
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: