- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
Justices Of The Peace, England And Wales
26th April 2011
Laid before Parliament
27th April 2011
Coming into force in accordance with article 1
The Lord Chancellor, in exercise of powers conferred by sections 8(4) and 108(6) of the Courts Act 2003(1) and after consulting in accordance with section 8(5A) and 8(6) of that Act, makes the following Order.
1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Local Justice Areas Order 2011.
(2) This Order comes into force on 19th May 2011 for the purposes of Part 1 of Schedule 2 to this Order.
(3) For all other purposes this Order comes into force on 1st January 2012.
2. In this Order—
“existing area” means a local justice area as it exists immediately before 1st January 2012;
“new area” means a local justice area constituted by this Order.
Any reference to a justice for an area is to be construed as a reference to a justice of the peace who ordinarily acts, or as the case may be, will, on or after 1st January 2012, ordinarily act, in and for that area.
3. The existing areas named in the left hand column of Table 1 are combined to become the new area named in the corresponding right hand column.
|Existing Areas||New Area|
|Ealing, Hounslow and Hillingdon||West London|
|Barking, Havering and Redbridge||North East London|
|Barnet, Brent and Harrow Gore||North West London|
|Kingston, Merton, Richmond-upon-Thames and Wandsworth||South West London|
|Croydon, Lambeth and Southwark, and Sutton||South London|
|Greenwich and Lewisham, Bexley and Bromley||South East London|
|Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea, City of London and City of Westminster||Central London|
|Camden and Islington, Enfield and Haringey||North London|
|Hackney and Tower Hamlets, Newham and Waltham Forest||East London|
|Sutton Coldfield and Birmingham||Birmingham|
|Ashby de-la-Zouch and Market Bosworth||Ashby de-la-Zouch and Market Bosworth|
|Daventry, Towcester and Northampton||Northampton, Daventry and Towcester|
|Leicester, Market Harborough and Lutterworth||Leicester, Market Harborough and Lutterworth|
|Loughborough and Melton, Belvoir and Rutland||Loughborough, Melton, Belvoir and Rutland|
|Newark and Southwell, and Nottingham||Nottingham and Newark|
|Worksop and Retford, and Mansfield||Mansfield and Worksop|
|Langbaurgh East and Teesside||Teesside|
|Houghton-le-Spring and Sunderland||City of Sunderland|
|Tynedale and Newcastle-upon-Tyne District||Newcastle and Tynedale|
|Alnwick and South East Northumberland||Mid and South East Northumberland|
|Beverley and the Wolds, Bridlington, and Goole and Howdenshire||East Yorkshire|
|Bradford and Keighley||Bradford and Keighley|
|Wakefield and Pontefract||Wakefield and Pontefract|
|Batley and Dewsbury, and Huddersfield||Kirklees|
|York and Selby||York and Selby|
|Harrogate and Skipton||Harrogate and Skipton|
|Liverpool and Knowsley||Liverpool and Knowsley|
|Chester, Ellesmere Port and Neston, and Vale Royal||West Cheshire|
|North Sefton District and South Sefton District||Sefton|
|Carlisle and District, and Eden||North Cumbria|
|West Allerdale and Keswick, and Whitehaven||West Cumbria|
|Blackburn, Darwen and Ribble Valley, and Hyndburn||East Lancashire|
|Bury and Rochdale, and Middleton and Heywood||Bury and Rochdale|
|Manchester City and City of Salford||Manchester and Salford|
|West Hertfordshire and Central Hertfordshire||West and Central Hertfordshire|
|North Hertfordshire and East Hertfordshire||North and East Hertfordshire|
|Milton Keynes, Wycombe and Beaconsfield, and Central Buckinghamshire||Buckinghamshire|
|Southern Oxfordshire, Northern Oxfordshire and Oxford||Oxfordshire|
|East Berkshire, West Berkshire and Reading||Berkshire|
|Peterborough and Fenland||North Cambridgeshire|
|East Cambridgeshire and Cambridge||South Cambridgeshire|
|Mid-North Essex, North West Essex and North East Essex||North Essex|
|Mid-South Essex, South West Essex and South East Essex||South Essex|
|Central Norfolk, North Norfolk, South Norfolk, West Norfolk, Great Yarmouth and Norwich||Norfolk|
|Central Devon and North Devon||North and East Devon|
|East Cornwall and West Cornwall||Cornwall|
|Plymouth District and South Devon||South and West Devon|
|Taunton Deane and West Somerset, and Sedgemoor||Taunton Deane, West Somerset and Sedgemoor|
|New Forest and Southampton||West Hampshire|
|North East Hampshire and North West Hampshire||North Hampshire|
|De Brycheiniog and Radnor, and North Brecknock||Brecknock and Radnorshire|
|Cardiff and Vale of Glamorgan||Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan|
|Carmarthen, Dinefwr and Llanelli||Carmarthenshire|
|Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire||Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire|
4. (1) The existing area of North West Surrey is divided between the two existing areas of North Surrey and South West Surrey in accordance with paragraphs (2) and (3).
(2) The area of Runnymede Borough Council is added to the existing area of North Surrey.
(3) The areas of Woking Borough Council and Surrey Heath District Council respectively are added to the existing area of South West Surrey.
5. The Schedule set out at Schedule 1 to this Order is substituted for the Schedule to the Local Justice Areas Order 2005(2).
6. The consequential and transitional provisions set out in Schedule 2 to this Order have effect.
Signed by authority of the Lord Chancellor
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State
Ministry of Justice
26th April 2011
|Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Market Bosworth|
|Bath and Wansdyke|
|Bedford and Mid Bedfordshire|
|Bradford and Keighley|
|Brecknock and Radnorshire|
|Bromsgrove and Redditch|
|Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale|
|Bury and Rochdale|
|Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan|
|Central and South West Staffordshire|
|Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire|
|City of Sunderland|
|Dudley and Halesowen|
|Furness and District|
|Grimsby and Cleethorpes|
|Harrogate and Skipton|
|Hull and Holderness|
|Isle of Wight|
|Leicester, Market Harborough and Lutterworth|
|Liverpool and Knowsley|
|Loughborough, Melton, Belvoir and Rutland|
|Luton and South Bedfordshire|
|Manchester and Salford|
|Mansfield and Worksop|
|Mid and South East Northumberland|
|Neath Port Talbot|
|Newcastle and Tynedale|
|Newcastle and Ogmore|
|North and East Devon|
|North and East Hertfordshire|
|North East Derbyshire and Dales|
|North East London|
|North East Suffolk|
|North Tyneside District|
|North West London|
|North West Wiltshire|
|Northallerton and Richmond|
|Northampton, Daventry and Towcester|
|Nottingham and Newark|
|Shrewsbury and North Shropshire|
|South and West Devon|
|South East Hampshire|
|South East London|
|South East Staffordshire|
|South East Suffolk|
|South East Surrey|
|South East Wiltshire|
|South Somerset and Mendip|
|South Tyneside District|
|South West London|
|South West Surrey|
|Taunton Deane, West Somerset and Sedgemoor|
|Telford and South Shropshire|
|Wakefield and Pontefract|
|Walsall and Aldridge|
|West and Central Hertfordshire|
|Wigan and Leigh|
|York and Selby”|
1. (1) The persons and bodies referred to in sub-paragraph (2) shall be formed, appointed or elected (as the case may be) in the prescribed manner and for the prescribed term, to take office on 1st January 2012.
(2) The persons and bodies are:
(a)a chairman and one or more deputy chairmen of the justices of a local justice area;
(b)a Bench Training and Development Committee;
(c)a family panel, and a chairman and one or more deputy chairmen of a family panel;
(d)a youth panel, and a chairman and one or more deputy chairmen of a youth panel.
(3) In sub-paragraph (1), the expressions “the prescribed manner” and “the prescribed term” mean respectively—
(a)in relation to the election of a chairman or deputy chairman, the manner prescribed by the Justices of the Peace (Size and Chairmanship of Bench) Rules 2005(3) and a term ending on 31st December 2012;
(b)in relation to the formation of a Bench Training and Development Committee and the appointment of a member of a Bench Training and Development Committee, the manner prescribed by the Justices of the Peace (Training and Development Committee) Rules 2007(4) and a term ending for one third of the members on 31st December in the years 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively;
(c)in relation to the formation of a family panel and the election of a chairman and one or more deputy chairmen of a family panel, the manner prescribed by the Family Proceedings Courts (Constitution of Committees and Right to Preside) Rules 2007(5), and as regards any such election, a term ending on 31st December 2012;
(d)in relation to the formation of a youth panel and the election of a chairman and one or more deputy chairmen of a youth panel, the manner prescribed by the Youth Courts (Constitution of Committees and Right to Preside) Rules 2007(6), and as regards any such election, a term ending on 31st December 2012.
(4) In this Part of this Schedule any reference to the manner prescribed by rules or regulations for any election or appointment shall not include provisions relating to dates, times or time limits.
2. (1) The persons who will be justices for a new area may hold a meeting before 1st January 2012 for the purposes set out in this Part of the Schedule and in order to prepare to assume their functions on and after that date.
(2) If a meeting is held in accordance with sub-paragraph (1) it shall be treated as if it were a meeting of the justices for the new area for the purposes of the enactments cited in this Part of this Schedule despite the fact that the new area was not at that time in existence.
(3) The persons and bodies appointed or elected for a new area under paragraph 1(1) may hold one or more meetings after the conclusion of the process of appointment or election but before 1st January 2012 for the purpose of preparing to assume their functions on and after that date.
3. Subject to the provisions of this Schedule anything done before 1st January 2012 by, to, before or in relation to any justices for an existing area, their clerk or any other officer of the court, shall on or after that date, be deemed to have been done by, to, before or in relation to those justices, their clerk or any other officer of the court, as justices for the new area, their clerk or any other officer of the court, as the case may be.
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order provides for the reorganisation of local justice areas.
This Order comes into force on 19th May 2011 for the purpose of enabling appointments to be made and elections to be held on the basis of the altered local justice areas. It comes into force on 1st January 2012 for the substantive creation of the new local justice areas.
2003 c.39. Section 8(5A) was inserted by the Constitutional Reform Act 2005 (c.4), section 15(1) and Schedule 4, paragraph 312. Section 108(6) was amended by the Constitutional Reform Act 2005 (c.4), section 15(1) and Schedule 4, paragraph 348.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: