70. After section 252 insert—
“252A Appointment of advisers to local authorities
(1) This section applies to a registered provider which is a local authority.
(2) The power in subsection (3) is exercisable if the regulator thinks—
(a)that it is necessary to exercise it for the proper management of the authority’s affairs so far as they relate to the provision of social housing (its “social housing affairs”), or
(b)that it is desirable to exercise it in the interests of securing better services for the authority’s tenants.
(3) The regulator may—
(a)appoint one or more advisers to assist the authority in relation to its social housing affairs (or a particular aspect of those affairs), or
(b)require the authority to appoint one or more advisers for that purpose.
(4) Appointment shall be on terms and conditions (including as to remuneration) specified in, or determined in accordance with, the appointment or requirement.
(5) A requirement under subsection (3)(b) may specify a process which the authority is required to implement for selecting and appointing advisers.
(6) The authority must cooperate with any advisers appointed by virtue of this section.”