- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
5.—(1) Subject to sub-paragraphs (2) and (3), the Commission must not instigate any inquiry under section 8 of the 1993 Act (“section 8 inquiry”) on or after the appointed day—
(a)in relation to one or more relevant charities and in respect of any period beginning before that day; or
(b)which covers any period beginning before the appointed day and would extend to one or more relevant charities.
(2) The Commission may, if it considers it appropriate to do so, instigate a section 8 inquiry on or after the appointed day into a section 11 charity in respect of a relevant matter which it becomes aware of on or after the appointed day.
(3) The Commission may, if it considers it appropriate to do so, instigate a section 8 inquiry on or after the appointed day into a specified exempt charity in respect of a relevant matter if—
(a)subject to sub-paragraph (4), a request is made by the principal regulator of the charity under this sub-paragraph; and
(b)the Commission was not aware before the appointed day of the matter to which the request relates.
(4) A principal regulator may only make a request under sub-paragraph (3) in respect of a relevant matter which it becomes aware of on or after the appointed day.
(5) For the purpose of this paragraph “relevant matter” means a matter arising in relation to a charity—
(a)before the appointed day; but
(b)during the current financial year of that charity.
6. Where immediately before the appointed day a relevant charity was preparing or promoting a Bill in Parliament, section 17(7) of the 1993 Act does not apply in respect of any expenditure incurred by that charity on or after that day in the preparation or promotion of that Bill.
7. The commencement of paragraph 5 of Schedule 5 to the 2006 Act by article 2 of this Order does not affect the operation of paragraph 11 of Schedule 2 to the Charities Act 2006 (Changes in Exempt Charities) Order 2010(1).
8.—(1) Any charity proceedings—
(a)relating to a relevant charity; and
(b)taken before the appointed day,
continue on or after that day as if they had been authorised by the Commission.
(2) In this paragraph “charity proceedings” has the meaning given by section 33(8) of the 1993 Act.
9.—(1) Nothing in section 36 of the 1993 Act applies to a disposition of land held by or in trust for a section 11 charity to which sub-paragraph (2) applies.
(2) This sub-paragraph applies to a disposition of land held by or in trust for a section 11 charity if—
(a)the charity trustees proposed that the relevant land be disposed of (whether by conveyance, transfer, lease or otherwise) before the appointed day; but
(b)the relevant disposition had not been effected before that day.
10.—(1) Nothing in section 38 of the 1993 Act applies to a mortgage of land held by or in trust for a section 11 charity to which sub-paragraph (2) applies.
(2) This sub-paragraph applies to a mortgage of land held by or in trust for a section 11 charity if the charity trustees—
(a)proposed that the mortgage be executed before the appointed day; but
(b)had not executed it before that day.
(3) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2) it does not matter whether the mortgage—
(a)will only have effect to secure the repayment of sums paid by way of the proposed loan or grant or discharge of a proposed obligation; or
(b)will also have effect to secure the repayment of sums paid by way of loan or grant, or the discharge of other obligations undertaken, after the date of its execution.
(4) In this paragraph “mortgage” has the meaning given by section 38 of the 1993 Act.
11.—(1) The Commission may not make any order under section 73(4) of the 1993 Act which would require a person (“P”) to—
(a)repay to a relevant charity the whole or part of any relevant sums received by P by way of remuneration or expenses; or
(b)pay to the charity the whole or part of the monetary value of any relevant benefit in kind received by P.
(2) For the purposes of this paragraph—
(a)a sum by way of remuneration or expenses or a benefit in kind received by P is a relevant sum or benefit in kind if it is received by P in connection with P’s acting as a charity trustee of or trustee for the relevant charity at any time—
(i)before the appointed day; and
(ii)when P was disqualified by section 72 of the 1993 Act for acting as such a trustee;
(b)it does not matter whether—
(i)the sums received by P by way of remuneration or expenses are, or
(ii)the benefit in kind received by P is,
received by P before, on or after the appointed day.
12.—(1) The commencement of subsections (3), (7) and, for the purposes specified in Schedule 1, (9) of section 11 of the 2006 Act by this Order—
(a)does not affect—
(i)any proceedings brought in any court or to the Tribunal in respect of any decision, order or direction made or any other matter arising before the appointed day;
(ii)any order made or judgment given in any proceedings mentioned in sub-paragraph (i) whether that order is made or judgment given before, on or after the appointed day;
(b)does not affect the validity of anything done before the appointed day on the basis that a section 11 charity was an exempt charity; and
(c)does not require any section 11 charity to be treated as not having been an exempt charity at any time before the appointed day.
(2) In this paragraph “Tribunal” has the meaning given by section 97(1) of the 1993 Act(2).
13. For the purposes of section 24(8) of the 1993 Act (including the purposes of that section as applied by section 25(2) of that Act) a section 11 charity is to be treated as if it continued to be an exempt charity.
14.—(1) This paragraph applies for the purpose of any enactment which provides for a charity or class of charities to be treated as if it were an exempt charity.
(2) In any such enactment the reference to a charity, or class of charities, being treated as an exempt charity, or exempt charities, is to be read as a reference to that charity, or class of charities, being treated as an exempt charity which is not a specified exempt charity or, as the case may be, exempt charities which are not specified exempt charities.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: