- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
38. (1) The Marine Management Organisation may make byelaws for the protection of a European marine site in England under section 129 of the Marine Act (byelaws for protection of marine conservation zones in England).
(2) The Welsh Ministers may make orders for the protection of a European marine site in Wales under section 134 of that Act (orders for protection of marine conservation zones in Wales).
(3) The provisions of Chapter 1 (marine conservation zones) of Part 5 of that Act relating to byelaws under section 129 or orders under section 134 apply, with the modifications described in paragraph (4), in relation to byelaws made by virtue of paragraph (1) or (as the case may be) orders made by virtue of paragraph (2).
(4) The modifications are—
(a)any reference to an MCZ is to be read as a reference to a European marine site;
(b)in sections 129(1) and 134(1), the reference to furthering the conservation objectives stated for an MCZ is to be read as a reference to protecting a European marine site;
(c)the reference in section 129(3)(c) to hindering the conservation objectives stated for an MCZ is to be read as a reference to damaging a European marine site.
(5) Nothing in byelaws or orders made by virtue of this regulation may interfere with the exercise of any functions of a relevant authority, any functions conferred by or under an enactment (whenever passed) or any right of any person (whenever vested).
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: