Public inspection of the marked register or lists
3.—(1) Any person is entitled to request that the proper officer make available for inspection a copy of the marked register or lists.
(2) A request under sub-paragraph (1) must be made in writing and must specify—
(a)which of the marked register or lists are requested,
(b)the purpose for which the information will be used,
(c)any reason why inspecting the full register or unmarked notices or lists would not be sufficient to achieve that purpose,
(d)who will inspect the register or lists,
(e)the date on which they wish to inspect the register or lists, and
(f)whether they would prefer to inspect the register or lists in printed or data form.
(3) The proper officer must forward the request to the Chief Electoral Officer so the Chief Electoral Officer can make the determination required by sub-paragraph (4).
(4) Where the Chief Electoral Officer is satisfied that the purposes of the requestor cannot be met by inspection of the full register or unmarked notices or lists the proper officer must make the marked register or lists available for inspection in accordance with the following provisions of this paragraph.
(5) Where the Chief Electoral Officer is not so satisfied, the proper officer must inform the requestor—
(a)of this decision, and
(b)provide the requestor with information concerning the availability of the published full register for inspection in accordance with regulation 52 of the 2008 Regulations or the unmarked lists in accordance with paragraph 15 of Schedule 2 to the 1985 Order(1).
(6) Subject to sub-paragraph (7) the inspection referred to in sub-paragraph (4) must take place under supervision during ordinary office hours and not later than 15 days after the date of receipt of a request that has been duly made under sub-paragraph (2).
(7) If the date on which the requestor wishes to inspect the marked register or lists is a day more than 15 days after the date of the receipt of the request, the proper officer must make the marked register or lists open to inspection on that date or, if that is a day disregarded by virtue of paragraph 1(4), the next day that is not so disregarded.
(8) A person who obtains information under this paragraph may use it only for the permitted purposes specified in paragraph 5, and any restrictions on the supply, disclosure and use of information referred to in that paragraph or sub-paragraph (8) below apply to such use.
(9) Where inspection takes place by providing the records on a computer screen or otherwise in data form, the proper officer must ensure the manner in which, and the equipment on which, that copy is provided do not permit any person consulting that copy to—
(a)search it by electronic means by reference to the name of any person; or
(b)copy or transmit any part of that copy by electronic or any other means.
(10) A person who inspects a copy of a register, notice or list may make hand-written notes but may not otherwise make copies of any part of them.
Paragraph 15 is amended by paragraph 13 of Schedule 2 to this Order.