- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
11. (1) Section 42 (limitation of expenses at an election) is amended as follows.
(2) For the heading substitute “Limitation of election expenses”.
(3) In subsection (1) for “, and for a candidate” to the end of that subsection substitute “. This subsection does not apply at a local election.”.
(4) After subsection (1) insert—
“(1ZA) The election expenses incurred by or on behalf of a candidate at a local election must not in the aggregate exceed the maximum amount specified in subsection (1ZB).
(1ZB) The maximum amount is £600 together with 5p for every entry in the register of electors.”.
(5) In subsection (1A) for “(1)” substitute “(1ZA)”.
(6) After subsection (6) insert—
“(7) Where at a local election a poll is countermanded or abandoned by reason of a candidate’s death, the maximum amount of election expenses shall, for any of the other candidates who remain validly nominated, be twice or, if there has been a previous increase under this subsection, three times what it would have been but for any increase under this subsection; but the maximum amount shall not be affected for any candidate by any change in timing.”.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: