- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
16. (1) The Disability Discrimination Act 1995(1) is amended as follows.
(2) In section 49A(2), subsection (1)(a) for “discrimination that is unlawful under this Act” substitute “unlawful discrimination and victimisation”.
(3) In subsection (2) for “other provision of this Act” substitute “provision of the Equality Act 2010 (“the 2010 Act”), so far as relating to disability”.
(4) After that subsection insert —
“(3) In this section—
(a)“discrimination” means disability discrimination within the meaning of sections 25(2)(a), (b) and (d) of the 2010 Act;
(b)“disability” and “disabled person” each have the same meaning as in section 6 of the 2010 Act; and
(c)“victimisation” means victimisation within the meaning of section 27 of that Act where the protected act in question relates to disability.”
(5) Despite the repeal of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (“the 1995 Act”) by Schedule 27 to the Act, the following provisions of the 1995 Act, so far as they relate to sections 49A to 49D(3) of that Act, continue to have effect—
(a)section 21B(3)(4) (list of public authorities excluded from duty not to discriminate),
(b)section 64(5) (Crown application),
(c)section 67(6) (orders and regulations) and
(d)in section 68 (interpretation) the definitions of “prescribed” and “regulations”.
Section 49A was inserted by the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 (c. 13), section 3.
Sections 49B to 49D were inserted by the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 (c. 13), section 3. Section 49B was amended by S.I. 2007/1388, Schedule 1, paragraphs 55 and 57. Section 49C was amended by the Equality Act 2006 (c. 3), section 88 and S.I. 2007/1388, Schedule 1, paragraphs 47 and 58. Section 49D was amended by the Equality Act 2006 (c. 3), Schedule 3, paragraphs 41 and 48 and S.I. 2007/1388, Schedule 1, paragraphs 47 and 59(1) and (2).
Section 21B was inserted by the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 (c.13) section 2.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: