- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
5.—(1) In relation to the existing award or awards to which a notified person (“P”) is entitled, the Secretary of State must, except where paragraph (8)(a) applies, make a conversion decision in accordance with these Regulations.
(2) A conversion decision is—
(a)a decision that P’s existing award or awards qualify for conversion into an award of an employment and support allowance in accordance with regulation 7 (qualifying for conversion); or
(b)a decision that P’s existing award or awards do not qualify for conversion into an award of an employment and support allowance.
(3) A notice of a conversion decision under paragraph (2)(a) must specify the amount of an employment and support allowance to which P is entitled on the effective date (subject to any relevant deductions).
(4) The amount referred to in paragraph (3) is to be determined in accordance with regulation 8 (amount of an employment and support allowance on conversion).
(5) The Secretary of State must notify P of the Secretary of State’s conversion decision.
(6) The conversion phase ends in relation to P—
(a)immediately before the effective date of the conversion decision notified to P; or
(b)if earlier, when P’s entitlement to the award or awards to which the notice under regulation 4 (notice commencing the conversion phase) relates otherwise ceases to be subject to conversion (because entitlement to the award has terminated or for some other reason).
(7) The effective date of any conversion decision is to be determined in accordance with regulation 13 (effective date of a conversion decision).
(8) In the event that P’s entitlement to an existing award ceases to be subject to conversion (for example, because P’s entitlement to an award of income support has ceased to fall within paragraph (c) of the definition of “existing award” in paragraph 11 of Schedule 4 to the 2007 Act)—
(a)before a conversion decision is made, the Secretary of State must notify P that the conversion phase has ended without a conversion decision being made; or
(b)after the making of a conversion decision but before its effective date, the Secretary of State must notify P that the conversion decision shall not come into effect.
(9) On the giving of a notice under paragraph (8)(b), the conversion decision to which it relates shall lapse with immediate effect.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified and accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: