- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.
4. (1) The Education Reform Act 1988 is amended as follows.
(2) For “local education authority” and “local education authorities” in each place where those words occur, except in sections 163, 221, and 231(4), substitute “local authority” and “local authorities” respectively.
(3) In section 163 omit subsection (1).
(4) For subsection (1) of section 221 substitute—
“(1) This section applies to any contract made after 20th November 1987—
(a)for purposes connected with a local authority’s education functions, between the authority and a person employed by the authority; or
(b)between a governing body of a foundation, voluntary aided or foundation special school and a person employed by the governing body,
other than a contract made in contemplation of the employee’s pending dismissal by reason of redundancy.”
(5) In section 231 omit subsection (4).
(6) In section 235(1) omit the definition of “local authority”.
(7) In paragraph 4 of Schedule 7 after sub-paragraph (7) insert—
“(8) In this paragraph “local authority” includes a non-metropolitan district council for an area for which there is a county council.”
(8) In paragraph 3 of Schedule 7A after sub-paragraph (6) insert—
“(7) In this paragraph “local authority” includes a non-metropolitan district council for an area for which there is a county council”.
(9) In paragraph 1 of Schedule 10—
(a)in sub-paragraph (5) omit the words after paragraph (d);
(b)after that sub-paragraph insert—
“(6) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (5)—
(a)references to a maintained school or a foundation body have the same meanings as in the School Standards and Framework Act 1998;
(b)“local authority” includes a non-metropolitan district council for an area for which there is a county council.”
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: