PART 2Identification devices
Approval of identification devices
5. Identification devices used to comply with this Order must be of a model approved by the Secretary of State.
Additional tags and identification devices with additional information
6. (1) At the request of a keeper, a manufacturer of identification devices may, subject to article 6(2), add supplementary information to an identification device or replacement device provided that—
(a)the supplementary information is distinct from the identification code; and
(b)the identification code remains legible and clearly distinguishable at all times.
(2) A keeper may apply an additional tag to an animal but it must not contain the letters “UK” or bear a flockmark or herdmark, unless authorised by the Secretary of State.
Colour of identification devices
7. (1) All electronic identification devices, other than replacement devices and boluses, must be yellow and no keeper may apply a yellow identification device that is not electronic.
(2) No person may attach a red identification device to any animal, other than a replacement identification device.
(3) Where a keeper re-identifies an animal and that animal is not on its holding of birth, or the keeper does not know the holding of birth, they must use a red replacement identification device but the requirement to use a red identification device does not apply to the use of boluses.
(4) Where an animal is identified by means of a bolus and a second identification device that second device must be black and a black identification device may only be used in combination with a bolus.
(5) The characters on all identification devices must be a different colour from the background of the device and must be clearly legible at all times when the device is attached to an animal.
Destruction of identification devices
8. (1) The operator of a slaughterhouse, knackers yard, hunt kennels or rendering plant and any other person who finally disposes of an identified animal carcass must destroy in a secure manner which prevents reuse all identification devices on animals they slaughter or otherwise dispose of.
(2) Secure destruction includes the rendering of any identification device.