21. (1) It is an offence for a keeper, other than a transporter, to fail to comply with Article 5(1), (3) and (5) of the Council Regulation.
(2) When an animal is moved onto or from its holding, the keeper must record—
(a)the information required by Section B of the Annex to the Council Regulation; and
(b)the number of animals moved.
(3) The information referred to in paragraph (2) in respect of animals moving onto a holding must be recorded by the keeper by entering it in the register but the individual identification codes of each animal may, alternatively, be recorded by retaining a duplicate or certified copy of the movement documents in date order and cross-referencing them to the relevant movement records in the holding register.
(4) The information referred to in paragraph (2) in respect of animals moving off a holding must be recorded by the keeper by either—
(a)entering it in the register; or
(b)retaining a duplicate or certified copy of the movement document and keeping such duplicate or copy with the register in chronological order with any other movement documents retained.
(5) It is an offence to keep the register in a form other than that approved by the Secretary of State.
(6) The keeper must complete the register—
(a)in the case of the movement of an animal onto or from a holding other than via a central point of recording, within 36 hours of the movement;
(b)in the case of a movement of an animal onto or from a holding via a central point of recording, within 48 hours of the movement;
(c)in the case of the replacement of an identification mark, within 36 hours of the replacement;
(d)in the case of the identification code of an animal, the year of its birth, the date of its identification, its race and, if know its genotype, within 36 hours of its identification;
(e)in the case of the death of an animal, within 36 hours of the discovery of its death.
(7) Where a keeper moves their animals to another holding but continues to be the keeper, the keeper does not have to keep the register on that holding but must be able to produce it within a reasonable time to the Secretary of State upon request.
(8) For the purposes of Article 5(3) of the Council Regulation, the period for which the register, including the duplicate or certified copies of the movement documents if kept in accordance with paragraph (4)(b), must be available is 3 years from the last day when an animal referred to on the document dies or leaves the holding.
(9) When an animal is re-identified the keeper must record in the register the date of re-identification.