The registrar of companies
18. Section 1066 of the Companies Act 2006 (registered numbers) applies to unregistered companies, modified so that it reads as follows—
“Companies’ reference numbers
1066. (1) The registrar shall allocate to every company a number, which shall be known as the company’s reference number.
(2) Companies’ reference numbers shall be in such form, consisting of one or more sequences of figures or letters, as the registrar may determine.
(3) The registrar may on adopting a new form of reference number make such changes of existing reference numbers as appear necessary.
(4) A change of a company’s reference number has effect from the date on which the company is notified by the registrar of the change.
(5) For a period of three years beginning with that date any requirement to disclose the company’s reference number imposed by section 82 (trading disclosures) is satisfied by the use of either the old number or the new.”.