- Latest available (Revised)
- Original (As made)
This is the original version (as it was originally made). UK Statutory Instruments are not carried in their revised form on this site.
7.—(1) A local education authority shall make arrangements for enabling the relevant person to appeal against any decision of the management committee under regulation 6 not to reinstate a pupil who has been permanently excluded from a pupil referral unit maintained by the authority.
(2) The Schedule to these Regulations has effect in relation to the making and hearing of appeals pursuant to arrangements made under paragraph (1); and in these Regulations “appeal panel” means an appeal panel constituted in accordance with paragraph 2 of the Schedule.
(3) In making any decision on an appeal pursuant to arrangements made under paragraph (1), an appeal panel shall have regard both to the interests of the excluded pupil and to the interests of other pupils and persons working at the pupil referral unit (including persons working at the unit voluntarily).
(4) An appeal panel shall not determine that a pupil is to be reinstated merely because of the failure of any person to comply with any procedural requirement imposed by or under these Regulations in relation to the decision under section 52(2) of the 2002 Act in respect of which the appeal is brought.
(5) The decision of an appeal panel on an appeal pursuant to arrangements under paragraph (1) shall be binding on the relevant person, the teacher in charge and the local education authority.
(6) On such an appeal the appeal panel may—
(a)uphold the decision not to reinstate the pupil;
(b)direct that the pupil is to be reinstated (either immediately or by a date specified in the direction), or
(c)decide that because of exceptional circumstances or for other reasons it is not practical to give a direction requiring his reinstatement, but that it would otherwise have been appropriate to give such a direction.
Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.
Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.
Explanatory Memorandum sets out a brief statement of the purpose of a Statutory Instrument and provides information about its policy objective and policy implications. They aim to make the Statutory Instrument accessible to readers who are not legally qualified accompany any Statutory Instrument or Draft Statutory Instrument laid before Parliament from June 2004 onwards.
Access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item from this tab. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Use this menu to access essential accompanying documents and information for this legislation item. Dependent on the legislation item being viewed this may include:
Click 'View More' or select 'More Resources' tab for additional information including: